Ivy League *expensive vs. good private or state school

In summary, it is important to consider the practical factors such as cost and access to resources, but also the potential benefits of attending a prestigious university like Princeton. Ultimately, it depends on your future career goals and what you value in your undergraduate education.
bguidry17
Hey everybody, I'm a high school senior about to apply to college and major in some science (anything from biochemistry to physics to math). Princeton University is my first choice, but it's going to be expensive for my family and me, especially considering I will most likely go to grad school (probably med school). Several people have told me that there really isn't a reason to go to an ivy for undergrad, that grad school is more important. This seems somewhat true, but I really like the atmosphere at Princeton. Going to say Mississippi State (I live in MS) just isn't as challenging as Princeton, and I want to be challenged and thrown out of my comfort zone. I also really like this program at Princeton: http://www.princeton.edu/integratedscience/.
So what do you guys think? Is it really worth it to go to Princeton? Or should I just learn the same stuff at a cheaper university and focus on grad school?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just FYI, pretty much every top 10 school is going to give you a crapload of need based aid (some give full rides to everyone)

Most private schools are going to as expensive, and way crappier.

Two factors come to mind.
1) The acceptance rate to medical school might be much better from Princeton that Mississippi State. You can probably get the rates from both of them.
2) Princeton will give you access to equipment that a state school will not. My college room mate went from a state school to Yale and commented that the Chemistry department at the state school had an electron microscope and the freshman lab at Yale had twelve. Learning to use equipment can be extremely valuable in the sciences.

@thomaslanny, yeah they give a lot of need based aid but what they're probably going to give us isn't really enough. We're in that income range where they don't want to give us a lot of aid but we can't afford to pay for four years of ivy education.

I don't mean to be a downer, but you are asking this question 8 or 9 months too early.

Apply to Princeton, apply to Mississippi state, and apply to a few other schools in between.

Once you have your admission letters to all of these schools and know the details of the financial aid packages, ask again! :smile:

It depends on wether you are going to medschool or a science gradschool, etc. They are very different things, and very different possibilities.

Large state schools all have good research opportunities which will make it possible to get into a graduate school in the sciences, where acceptance is largely based on letters of recommendation from people you research with. I went to a top 10 graduate school in physics, and there were a few people who did undergrad in the ivies, but also plenty of people from large state schools (Illinois, Wisconsin-Madison,Michigan, etc). The key is to have an institution where you can get research experience- this is where small liberal arts colleges can be problematic (though some have excellent undergrad research, many do not).

Medical school acceptance has a much larger academic component. Here is where going to the ivies can help you. My sister went to a top medical school, and more than half her class came from top tier schools (ivies, stanford, etc).

There are many good schools that focus on STEM majors which can provide an intellectual atmosphere besides ivy league.

Related to Ivy League *expensive vs. good private or state school

What are the Ivy League schools and how do they compare to other private and state schools?

The Ivy League schools are a group of eight prestigious universities located in the Northeastern United States. They are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, University of Pennsylvania, and Yale University. These schools are known for their highly competitive admissions processes, rigorous academics, and prestigious reputations. While they are often considered the top schools in the country, there are many other private and state schools that offer excellent education and opportunities.

Why are Ivy League schools so expensive?

Ivy League schools are often more expensive than other schools due to their high demand and limited spots available. These schools also have large endowments, which allow them to offer more financial aid to students. Additionally, the cost of living in the Northeast is generally higher than other parts of the country, contributing to the overall cost of attending an Ivy League school.

Are Ivy League schools worth the high cost?

It depends on individual preferences and goals. While Ivy League schools offer exceptional education and networking opportunities, they may not be the best fit for everyone. It is important to consider factors such as financial aid, location, and academic programs when deciding if an Ivy League school is worth the cost.

How do the academic programs at Ivy League schools compare to other schools?

Ivy League schools are known for their rigorous and challenging academic programs. They often have smaller class sizes and more resources available for students. However, there are many other private and state schools that also offer excellent academic programs and opportunities for students to excel.

Can attending an Ivy League school guarantee success?

Attending an Ivy League school does not guarantee success. While these schools offer top-notch education and networking opportunities, success ultimately depends on an individual's hard work, determination, and opportunities. Many successful individuals have graduated from non-Ivy League schools, and it is important to find the right fit for your personal and academic goals.