I've done it the wrong way roundn

• B
  • Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
In summary: OS X does not have a registry so you can't just add an exception. You need to find a different software.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I decided to get a telescope, at long last. It's an 8" Dobsonian and was a real snip on eBay. (I have read the "Buying your first telescope" advice and have wantonly failed to follow it. Tut tut.
I have been using binoculars for decades and I have kept an eye on the visible Planets and other 'easy' events but I got this big telescope so that I can see other interesting stuff. We have recently moved to the country and the background light is very good for astronomy.
So my question is what astronomy software (os x) is worth having and what book(s) would you guys recommend? The Dob is totally manual so I get no GoTo help.:frown:
I will need a star atlas etc.. I think it is probably going to be good for my soul to start with something basic to avoid me getting too lazy about learning what I need about the nuts and bolts of astronomy procedures.
I have taken a year's sub to Theskyatnight mag, as a start.
Cheers in anticipation.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Stellarium is available on OSX and is a very good. Many people recommend the book "Turn Left At Orion" for beginners.

glappkaeft said:
Stellarium is available on OSX and is a very good. Many people recommend the book "Turn Left At Orion" for beginners.
Thanks for the reply. I am having a problem with Stellarium. It is from an 'unknown' developer and my OS X won't allow me to 'allow' it in my preferences. Nothing is simple in this life!

OS 10.11.4 does have a few funnies and this may be one of them. A shame.

Stellarium like a lot of open source software has not been registered with Apple and if you want to run it you need to exempt it ( https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18657?locale=en_US ). While I use Windows at home I run across this all the time at work where we run mostly Macs.

Thanks. Brilliant!

Related to I've done it the wrong way roundn

1. What does it mean to do something the wrong way round?

To do something the wrong way round means to do it in the opposite or incorrect order or sequence. This can result in mistakes or errors and may require going back to correct the steps.

2. How do I know if I've done something the wrong way round?

If you are unsure if you have done something the wrong way round, you may notice that the result or outcome is not what you expected. You may also realize that you skipped a step or did things in a different order than intended.

3. How can doing something the wrong way round affect the outcome?

Doing something the wrong way round can significantly impact the outcome. It can result in errors, mistakes, and a different end result than intended. It may also require additional time and effort to correct the mistake.

4. Can doing something the wrong way round be fixed?

Yes, doing something the wrong way round can usually be fixed by going back and redoing the steps in the correct order. However, in some cases, the mistake may have irreversible consequences.

5. How can I avoid doing something the wrong way round?

To avoid doing something the wrong way round, it is essential to carefully read and follow instructions, double-check your work, and ask for clarification if needed. It can also be helpful to plan and organize your steps before beginning a task.