I've Butchered my Academic Profile

• Thread starter completevoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academic
In summary: If I've omitted anything useful, feel free to inquire about it.In summary, the individual is a physics major with a minor in computer science who is concerned about their transcript and its potential impact on their chances for graduate school. They discuss their past grades, current grades, and future plans, expressing a desire to improve their academic record and be involved in research and extracurricular activities. They also mention their struggles with taking on too many difficult courses and not being able to handle the workload, and their concerns about setting unrealistic expectations for themselves. Ultimately, they seek advice on how to improve their chances for graduate school and welcome further inquiries for more information.
completevoid
After this semester, I'll be entering my senior year as a physics major cs minor. Looking back I realize my transcript is going to make me appear dull to grad schools. Looking forward, I realize this semester's results may make matters even worse.

I have yet to take my finals, but it is very possible for me to conclude this semester with an A, a C, and two Fs. What's worst is that one of the Fs is in a core course (2nd semester quantum mechanics). The other F is in a computer course, which I suppose isn't too bad as I will retake it come Fall and its only required in my minor. I know its only one semester, but results like these may deliver the killing blow to an already unwell transcript.

I haven't done any research (but I have some set up for this summer), my gpa is sitting around 3.5, and I did poorly (C-) in another upper tier physics class in the past. In short, my transcript presents me as a subpar slacker.

However, I am not in this situation because of a poor work ethic. I work hard, my problem is one of pride. I worry about understanding derivations when problem solving is the emphasis, I take too many difficult classes (18 hours in 400 level technical classes), I end up dropping one too late and then I ride out a semester with grade caps set from failed midterms. This is doubly bad, because dropped courses aren't recorded, so it looks as though I couldn't handle 13 and 14 hour loads. I've repeated this mistake because I blamed myself for not working hard enough, but by now I've learned to scale back: on tiptoe, our stance is most unsteady. My next semester should be manageable, and I expect maybe 1 B and the rest As--this isn't a pipe dream, I plan on teaching myself most of what I need over summer instead of learning more programming languages and soaking up radiation in front of a television screen. My concern is, is it too late? I should mention that I had a 4.0 taking all my gen eds and beginning physics, so my gpa being at 3.5 is the result of performance in upper division (300 and up barring some 200 level cs) courses.

I plan on involving myself in research next semester, physics and math clubs, etc, but I'm afraid I've gone beyond the point of no return. What should I do to improve my appearance to grad schools? If I've omitted anything useful, feel free to inquire about it.

P.S. If I nail my quantum final, I shouldn't fail the course, but I only have several days to study for it, and I have a lot of ground to cover, and I'm not good at rote learning (which would be ideal for cramming for a test).Thanks, completevoid

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
completevoid said:
I work hard, my problem is one of pride. I worry about understanding derivations when problem solving is the emphasis, I take too many difficult classes (18 hours in 400 level technical classes), I end up dropping one too late and then I ride out a semester with grade caps set from failed midterms.

One reason graduate schools care about GPA's is that GPA's are less a measure of intelligence than of the ability to navigate bureaucracy (i.e. getting the forms in time) and pace yourself. If you end up overloading yourself and not being able to do damage control, this is going to really hurt you in graduate school, where you have much more rope to hang yourself.

In the end, what people care about is that you get stuff done. If you work yourself too hard and burn out, or if you miss deadlines and stuff doesn't get done, that's almost as bad as having done nothing.

Being a "sub-par slacker" is not the only thing that can cause problems. Being someone that doesn't know their own limits, gets in over their head, and then can't do damage control, is just as bad. Maybe even worse.

This is doubly bad, because dropped courses aren't recorded, so it looks as though I couldn't handle 13 and 14 hour loads.

You got an two F's, that means that some thing went seriously wrong.

Maybe you *can't* handle that much coursework. In that case, you would be better off taking fewer courses. If you take fewer courses, then you'll learn the material. If you take too many courses, then you burn yourself out, and then everything falls apart.

My next semester should be manageable, and I expect maybe 1 B and the rest As--this isn't a pipe dream, I plan on teaching myself most of what I need over summer instead of learning more programming languages and soaking up radiation in front of a television screen. My concern is, is it too late?

Does it matter?

You are going to have to complete your degree one way or another, so you might as well go out on a high note. The problem with talking about the situation of 1 B and the rest A's, is that it will be better to have that conversation when you in fact have 1 B and the rest A's.

If your problem is setting unrealistically high expectations for yourself then putting yourself where you think that you must get X grade is going to make things worse. What concerns me is that you'll find yourself in the middle of next semester, and then when it looks like you are getting "decent but not spectacular grades" you'll fail to pull the ejection seat and that will cause a disaster at the end.

I plan on involving myself in research next semester, physics and math clubs, etc, but I'm afraid I've gone beyond the point of no return. What should I do to improve my appearance to grad schools?

Convince people that you can survive doing physics for the next decade of your life.

Something to consider is that you are going to be a lot better off if you take a reduced load and do very well in your courses, than if you go crazy and trying to "make up" for lost effort. If you take a reduced load next semester, it looks decent. If you try to "make up" for everything, then if anything going wrong, then it's going to be unsalvageable.

Something else that you have to ask yourself is whether you *really* want to go to graduate school.

Thank you for reply twofish, I appreciate the help.

Dear completevoid,

First of all, I want to acknowledge the stress and concern you are feeling about your academic profile. It is completely normal to have these worries, especially as a senior in college. However, I want to assure you that all hope is not lost and there are steps you can take to improve your appearance to grad schools.

First and foremost, I want to encourage you to not be too hard on yourself. It is clear from your message that you have a strong work ethic and a passion for physics. Sometimes, our own perfectionist tendencies can hold us back and cause us to take on too much, leading to burnout and lower grades. It is important to find a balance and prioritize your workload in a way that allows you to excel in your courses.

That being said, it is important to address the issue of your grades. While one semester may not define your entire academic career, graduate schools will still take note of your performance. However, this does not mean that all hope is lost. One way to improve your academic profile is to retake any courses in which you received a low grade. This shows determination and a commitment to improving your understanding of the material.

Additionally, it is great that you have plans to involve yourself in research and extracurricular activities next semester. This not only shows your dedication to the field of physics, but also allows you to gain valuable experience and skills that will make you a stronger candidate for graduate school.

In terms of your GPA, it is important to remember that it is just one aspect of your application. Your research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement can also have a significant impact on your chances of being accepted into a graduate program. If you have the opportunity, try to get involved in research this summer to strengthen your application.

Lastly, I want to remind you that it is never too late to make improvements and showcase your potential to graduate schools. Keep working hard and stay focused on your goals. With determination and perseverance, you can overcome any challenges and present a strong academic profile to graduate schools.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Related to I've Butchered my Academic Profile

1. What are some common mistakes that can lead to a butchered academic profile?

Some common mistakes include poor time management, procrastination, lack of effort, and not seeking help when needed. These can all contribute to lower grades and a negative impact on your academic profile.

2. How can I improve my academic profile after it has been butchered?

The first step is to identify the areas that need improvement and make a plan to address them. This could include seeking help from professors or tutors, improving time management skills, and dedicating more effort to your studies. It may also be helpful to retake courses or work on improving your grades in other ways.

3. Can a butchered academic profile affect my future career opportunities?

Yes, a butchered academic profile can have a negative impact on your future career opportunities. Many employers consider a candidate's academic performance when making hiring decisions, and a poor academic profile may raise red flags about your work ethic and ability to succeed.

4. How can I prevent my academic profile from being butchered in the first place?

To prevent a butchered academic profile, it is important to prioritize your studies and stay organized. Make a schedule and stick to it, seek help when needed, and put in the effort to do well in your courses. It is also important to take care of your mental and physical health, as these can also impact your academic performance.

5. Can I recover from a butchered academic profile?

Yes, it is possible to recover from a butchered academic profile. It may take time and effort, but by identifying the areas that need improvement and actively working on them, you can improve your grades and overall academic profile. It is important to stay motivated and persistent in your efforts.