It has a horizontal asymptote at y = 7/8, and increasing for all x > -13/16.

In summary: At what point does the function become strictly positive?The function never becomes strictly positive.
teme92

Homework Statement

Find, with proof, the least upper bound of the set of real numbers E given by:
E ={14n + 9/16n + 13: n [itex]\in[/itex] N}

:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I said that 16n+13>14n+9 for all N

From this I get n>-2

What do I do with this? I understand that as n increase E will decrease but I don't know how to answer the question. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
teme92 said:

Homework Statement

Find, with proof, the least upper bound of the set of real numbers E given by:
E ={14n + 9/16n + 13: n [itex]\in[/itex] N}

As written you have [tex]
E = \{ 14n + \frac{9}{16n} + 13 : n \in \mathbb{N}\}
[/tex] which has no upper bound.

:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I said that 16n+13>14n+9 for all N

I infer from this that you actually meant [tex]
E = \{ \frac{14n + 9}{16n + 13} : n \in \mathbb{N} \}.
[/tex]

From this I get n>-2

You should get that 1 is an upper bound for E. But is it the least?

What do I do with this? I understand that as n increase E will decrease but I don't know how to answer the question. Any help would be much appreciated.

Let [tex]
y = \frac{14n + 9}{16n + 13}
[/tex] and solve for [itex]n[/itex]. You need [itex]n[/itex] to be positive, so that gives you a bound [itex]y_0[/itex] on [itex]y[/itex].

You then need to see whether you can make [tex]y_0 - \frac{14n + 9}{16n + 13}[/tex] arbitrarily small by suitable choice of [itex]n[/itex].

Hey pasmith,

You're right, that is what I meant (long day).

y = (14n + 9)/(16n + 13)

And you said solve for n so:

n= (9-13y)/(16y-14)

However n would not be postive here?

Last edited:
teme92 said:
Hey pasmith,

y = (14n + 9)/(16n + 13)

n= (9-13y)/(16y-14)

However n would not be postive here?

Does N mean all integers (negative and positive) or just the non-negative positive integers?

Hey Ray Vickson, N is natural numbers so all positive integers.

teme92 said:
Hey pasmith,

y = (14n + 9)/(16n + 13)

n= (9-13y)/(16y-14)

However n would not be positive here?

You can see that the numerator is positive when [itex]y < 9/13[/itex] and negative when [itex]y > 9/13[/itex] and the denominator is positive when [itex]y > 16/14[/itex] and negative when [itex]y < 16/14[/itex]. For the quotient to be positive, the numerator and denominator must have the same sign.

I don't see any point in solving for n. You are concerned with values of the fraction, not values of n. Instead, divide both numerator and denominator by n:
[tex]\frac{14+ \frac{9}{n}}{16+ \frac{13}{n}}[/tex]
Now, it is obvious what happens as n goes to infinity. Is y ever larger than that number for finite n?

So the limit is 14/16 and as n goes to infinity.

As n increases E decreases so away from L so its divergent?

Last edited:
I am no longer sure what you are talking about. Saying "the limit is 14/16" means the sequence is convergent, doesn't it? It has a limit. Clearly the fraction approaches 14/16= 7/8 as closely as we please. The only question left is "is it ever, for some finite value of n, larger than 7/8:

Can you solve [itex]\frac{14n+ 9}{16n+ 13}> \frac{7}{8}[/itex]?

Ok I understand that bit now.

Solving the inequality:

8(14n+9)>7(16n+13)
112n+72>112n+91
72>91

Which doesn't make sense so 7/8 is the least upper bound?

Yes, trying to solve [itex]\frac{14n+ 9}{16n+ 13}> \frac{7}{8}[/itex] leads to a statement that is false for all n (I would not say "doesn't makes sense"- just "false") so the inequality is never true- 7/8 is an upper bound on the fraction. But we also know that it comes arbitrarily close to 7/8 so 7/8 is the "least upper bound".

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, trying to solve [itex]\frac{14n+ 9}{16n+ 13}> \frac{7}{8}[/itex] leads to a statement that is false for all n (I would not say "doesn't makes sense"- just "false") so the inequality is never true- 7/8 is an upper bound on the fraction. But we also know that it comes arbitrarily close to 7/8 so 7/8 is the "least upper bound".

Alternatively, use calculus to examine the behavior of the function
[tex] f(x) = \frac{9 + 14x}{13+16x}, \; x \geq 0[/tex]

Related to It has a horizontal asymptote at y = 7/8, and increasing for all x > -13/16.

What is the definition of "least upper bound" in analysis?

The least upper bound, also known as the supremum, is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in a given set. It is a concept in analysis that is used to describe the completeness of a set of real numbers.

Why is the concept of least upper bound important in analysis?

The least upper bound is important in analysis because it allows us to define the limit of a sequence or a function. It is also used to prove the existence of certain mathematical objects, such as the real numbers, and to establish the convergence of series and integrals.

How is the least upper bound related to the concept of completeness?

The least upper bound is closely related to the concept of completeness, which states that a set of real numbers is complete if every non-empty subset that is bounded above has a least upper bound. In other words, the least upper bound is a measure of how "complete" a set is.

Can the least upper bound exist for an infinite set?

Yes, the least upper bound can exist for an infinite set, as long as the set is bounded above. In fact, the least upper bound is a crucial concept in the study of infinite sets and their properties.

How is the concept of least upper bound used in practical applications?

The concept of least upper bound is used in many practical applications, such as in economics, engineering, and computer science. In economics, it is used to determine the maximum price that a consumer is willing to pay for a product. In engineering, it is used to design efficient algorithms for solving optimization problems. In computer science, it is used to analyze the complexity of algorithms and data structures.