Issue with book's solution for a block projected up an....

• Thread starter CVRIV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the speaker is having trouble with an example problem in their book. They have compared their own solution to the book's solution and found that they are the same, but the book's solution has a velocity of 2.5m/s while theirs had a non-real result due to a negative magnitude within the square root. They ask for help and realize they made a mistake in their calculation. Despite using the wrong mass, they still arrived at the correct answer.
CVRIV
Hello everyone:) I'm having an issue with an example problem in the book I'm using.

I attached a pic of the problem and the book's solution.

The issue I'm having is that I have no idea how the book got the velocity it did via the solution it presented. When I worked out the problem myself, before looking at the book's solution, I arrived at the very same solution, but I was receiving non-real results, because the magnitude within the square root is negative. That's when I peaked at the book only to find that the book did what I did, except the book has 2.5m/s. I have no idea how it came to that.

I didn't want to just write that down without having some kind of explanation. Can you help me out? Is the book wrong? Am I wrong? What am I missing here?

Attachments

• 0316190142~2.jpg
    0316190142~2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 0316190142c~2.jpg
    0316190142c~2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 248
Physics news on Phys.org
CVRIV said:
same solution, but I was receiving non-real results, because the magnitude within the square root is negative
I do not see how you got that from the expression in the solution. Did you forget that (-x)2 is +x2?
Please post your working.

I figured out what I did wrong. I was using a mass of 5kg instead of 0.5kg.

The crazy thing is that I acquired the correct value for part A using the wrong amount of mass! What happened was I didn't square the x variable so with those two mistakes, I got the right answer. Ha ha.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is the issue with the book's solution for a block projected up an incline?

The issue with the book's solution is that it may only consider ideal conditions and may not take into account real-world factors such as friction, air resistance, and the shape of the incline.

2. How can I determine the correct solution for a block projected up an incline?

To determine the correct solution, you should consider all the real-world factors that may affect the motion of the block, such as friction, air resistance, and the shape of the incline. You may need to use more advanced equations and techniques to accurately model the motion.

3. Why is it important to consider real-world factors when solving for a block projected up an incline?

Considering real-world factors is important because it allows for a more accurate representation of the motion of the block. Ignoring friction, air resistance, and the shape of the incline can lead to incorrect solutions and may not reflect the actual behavior of the block in the real world.

4. Can I use the book's solution as a starting point for solving the problem?

Yes, you can use the book's solution as a starting point, but it is important to also consider real-world factors and use more advanced equations and techniques to accurately model the motion of the block.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for a block projected up an incline?

Some common mistakes to avoid include ignoring real-world factors, using incorrect equations or formulas, and not properly understanding the problem. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the correct equations and techniques to arrive at an accurate solution.