Finding a block's acceleration

• Thread starter guyvsdcsniper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary: The inconsistency is with the choice of the y-direction in the constraint equation. When you use the y-direction in the ##\sum F_y## equation, it is the same as the y-direction in the diagram. However, when you use the y-direction in the constraint equation, it is not the same as the y-direction in the diagram. This inconsistency is causing you to get stuck.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Find the blocks acceleration on a wedge.
Relevant Equations
F=MA
I am currently solving this problem and approached it two different ways. I have attached a ss of the picture for reference.

On my first attempt, shown on the attached image in pen, I used a component of the normal force and weight as my forces in the y direction. I carried out the work and ended up getting the correct answer according to my book.

I then tried a different approach, as shown by the image with the whiteboard, and used the actual normal force and a component of the force of gravity. When I used this approach I got stuck and did not see anyway of attaining the correct answer.

What is incorrect about the 2nd approach that is preventing me from getting the right answer?
Paperwork.JPG
Whiteboard work.JPG
Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 4.50.05 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In the whiteboard calculation, it looks like you are taking the y-direction to be perpendicular to the ground for the diagram and the constraint equation:
1644624774911.png

But when you set up the ##\sum F_y## equation, you switch to taking the y-direction to be perpendicular to the plane (i.e., along the normal force ##N##):
1644624874904.png

So, there is an inconsistency in the choice of the y-direction for the whiteboard calculation. ##y## in the constraint equation is not the same as the ##y## in the ##\sum F_y## equation.

Likes guyvsdcsniper
TSny said:
In the whiteboard calculation, it looks like you are taking the y-direction to be perpendicular to the ground for the diagram and the constraint equation:
View attachment 296975

But when you set up the ##\sum F_y## equation, you switch to taking the y-direction to be perpendicular to the plane (i.e., along the normal force ##N##):
View attachment 296976

So, there is an inconsistency in the choice of the y-direction for the whiteboard calculation. ##y## in the constraint equation is not the same as the ##y## in the ##\sum F_y## equation.
Thank you. That makes it very clear.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is directly related to velocity, as it is the change in velocity over time. If an object's velocity is increasing, it is said to have a positive acceleration, while a decrease in velocity results in a negative acceleration.

What factors affect an object's acceleration?

There are several factors that can affect an object's acceleration, including the force applied to the object, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system. It can be measured using various tools, such as accelerometers or by analyzing an object's change in velocity over time.

How can I calculate an object's acceleration?

To calculate an object's acceleration, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is the time interval. Alternatively, you can use the formula a = F/m, where F is the net force acting on the object and m is the mass of the object.