Isothermic compression question. Need help

• Thread starter rigger100472
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compression
In summary: JIn summary, the question involves finding the heat energy transfer in an isothermal compression of gas with known initial and final volumes. Using the equation Q=nRT ln V^2/V^1, it is possible to find the heat transfer by first finding the number of moles of gas (n) using the ideal gas law and then solving for Q.
rigger100472

Homework Statement

The question I am stuck on is "0.253 m of gas is compressed isothermally from a pressure of 1 bar until its volume is 0.0313 m. Calculate the heat energy transfer. "

Homework Equations

I understand that work done = Heat transfer because it is isothermal but the equation I have to work with is:

Q=nRT ln V^2/V^1

I don't want the answer to this because I would like to understand, I just don't know what nRT is and how on Earth do I find T if it is not given in the answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not attempted to answer yet

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rigger100472 said:
The question i am stuck on is "0.253m^3 of gas is co

What is your question?
What are your relevant equations?
Let's see your attempt at solution.

Sorry about the post being incomplete (don't know what happened). I have now edited the original post.

Hmm this question is bothering me. I definitely used to know how to do it.

I know that in an isothermal compression nRT = P1V1 = P2V2 = constant. Maybe that's how you find T, since you know P1V1 is.

EDIT: I think it is possible that this answer is correct because you're not subbing in a variable PV for NRT, you are subbing in P1V1, which are known, and known to be constant.

The basic idea that you need to understand is

W = [itex]\int^{1}_{2} P dv[/itex]

P*V = n*R*T

Here n is the number of moles of the gas, R is the Boltzmann gas constant and T is the temperature. For an isothermal gas of fixed mass, n, R, and T are all constants. Therefore

P = (n*R*T) / V

[itex]\int^{1}_{2} P dv[/itex]
= [itex]\int^{1}_{2} (n*R*T) / V dv[/itex]
= [itex](n*R*T)*\int^{1}_{2} 1 / V dv[/itex]
= [itex](n*R*T) * ln (v_{2}/v_{1})[/itex]

Although I am not sure how you can find T, you can surely find n*T as you know the volume pressure and R you can use the equation PV = nRT to get n*T. That value you can use in your equation to find your answer

And the relationship PV = nRT comes from the ideal gas relationships which state that

[itex]\frac{P_1*V_1}{T_1} = \frac{P_2*V_2}{T_2}[/itex]

As this relationship is true we can say for every mole of gas

[itex]\frac{P_1*V_1}{T_1} = \frac{P_2*V_2}{T_2} = K[/itex]

This constant K is the Boltzmann gas constant R, and n is the number of moles of the gas.

Ok thanks for the info guys, I had a go at the question and this is what I came up with. What do you think?

Q=W=nRT∫_(V_2)^(V_1)▒PdV
but nRT=PV
Q=PV∫_(V_2)^(V_1)▒PdV
During isothermal compression
P_1 V_1=P_2 V_2⇒PV is a constant

In this case

PV=0.253

⇒P=PV/V=0.253/V⇒P_2=0.253/V_2 =7.167Bar

⇒Q=PV∫_(V_2)^(V_1)▒〖0.253/V dV〗

⇒Q=PV[0.253lnV]_0.0313^0.253
⇒Q=0.253(0.253ln0.253-0.253ln0.0313)

⇒Q=0.253(0.253ln0.253-0.253ln0.0313)
⇒Q=0.192

Related to Isothermic compression question. Need help

1. What is isothermic compression?

Isothermic compression is a thermodynamic process in which the temperature of a system remains constant while the pressure is changed. This can be achieved by adding or removing heat from the system to maintain a constant temperature.

2. Why is isothermic compression important?

Isothermic compression is important in various industrial and scientific processes, as it allows for precise control of pressure without causing temperature changes. This is particularly useful in processes such as refrigeration, gas storage, and chemical reactions.

3. How is isothermic compression different from adiabatic compression?

The main difference between isothermic and adiabatic compression is the temperature change. In isothermic compression, the temperature remains constant, while in adiabatic compression, the temperature changes due to the work done on or by the system. This is because in adiabatic compression, no heat is exchanged with the surroundings, while in isothermic compression, heat is added or removed to maintain a constant temperature.

4. What are the applications of isothermic compression?

Isothermic compression has various applications in fields such as refrigeration, air conditioning, chemical processes, and gas storage. In refrigeration and air conditioning, isothermic compression is used to compress and cool gases, while in chemical processes, it is used to control the pressure and temperature of reactions. It is also used in gas storage systems to maintain a constant pressure.

5. How is isothermic compression calculated?

Isothermic compression can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and volume. This can be represented by the equation P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume. By keeping the temperature constant, the equation can be simplified to P1V1 = P2V2.