Isomorphism Transformation: Onto and One-to-One Concept Explanation

• Thread starter FeynmanIsCool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary: Rightarrow x=y## holds for all ##x,y\in A##, and surjective if ##f(A)=B##, i.e. if the range is equal to the codomain (rather than a proper subset of it). So a proof of injectivity should start with "Let x and y be arbitrary elements of A such that f(x)=f(y)". Then you prove that x=y. A proof of surjectivity should usually start with "let y be an arbitrary element of B". Then you find an x in A such that f(x)=y.
FeynmanIsCool

Homework Statement

Is the following transformation an isomorphism:

[itex]a_0+bx+cx^{2}+dx^{3} \rightarrow \begin{bmatrix} a & b\\ c & d \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Homework Equations

A transformation is an isomorphism if:

1. The transformation is one-to-one
2. The transformation is onto

The Attempt at a Solution

I took an accelerated Linear Algebra course over the summer, and in the last lecture my professor barely touched the concepts of "onto" and "one-to-one"

I know a transformation is onto if T:V→W it maps to every vector in W (essentially no restrictions)
and that a transformation is one to one if for each vector in V maps to only one vector in W.

I have working through a bunch of problems by finding the transformation matrix and then taking its determinant to see if its one to one (i.e if det(T) ≠ 0) or finding the kernel (if Ker(T)=0)
I was testing if the transformation was onto by finding RREF and seeing if any restrictions popped up (if not then it was onto, I think this was right)

This problem seems extremely simple but I'm not sure where to start since I don't know what T looks like and haven't had much guidance in this type of problem yet (none actually)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FeynmanIsCool said:

Homework Statement

[itex]a_0+bx+cx^{2}+dx^{3} \rightarrow \begin{bmatrix} a & b\\ c & d \end{bmatrix}[/itex]
You need to define this transformation more carefully. What exactly is its domain?

FeynmanIsCool said:

Homework Equations

A linear transformation is an isomorphism (to be more specific, a vector space isomorphism) if 1 and 2 hold. So if V and W are vector spaces, and you suspect that a function ##T:V\to W## may be an isomorphism, you should usually start by verifying that it's linear.

FeynmanIsCool said:
I took an accelerated Linear Algebra course over the summer, and in the last lecture my professor barely touched the concepts of "onto" and "one-to-one"
Your descriptions of these terms are accurate, but I will still show you the definitions I use.

The terms "injective" and "surjective" are more popular. A function ##f:A\to B## is injective if the implication ##f(x)=f(y)\Rightarrow x=y## holds for all ##x,y\in A##, and surjective if ##f(A)=B##, i.e. if the range is equal to the codomain (rather than a proper subset of it). So a proof of injectivity should start with "Let x and y be arbitrary elements of A such that f(x)=f(y)". Then you prove that x=y. A proof of surjectivity should usually start with "let y be an arbitrary element of B". Then you find an x in A such that f(x)=y.

FeynmanIsCool said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know a transformation is onto if T:V→W it maps to every vector in W (essentially no restrictions)
and that a transformation is one to one if for each vector in V maps to only one vector in W.

I have working through a bunch of problems by finding the transformation matrix and then taking its determinant to see if its one to one (i.e if det(T) ≠ 0) or finding the kernel (if Ker(T)=0)
I was testing if the transformation was onto by finding RREF and seeing if any restrictions popped up (if not then it was onto, I think this was right)

This problem seems extremely simple but I'm not sure where to start since I don't know what T looks like and haven't had much guidance in this type of problem yet (none actually)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Let's call ##P_3## the linear space of 3rd degree polynomials and ##M## the 2 by 2 matrices. You don't need any representation other than what you are given to see if the given transformation, call it ##T##, is 1-1 and onto.

If ##T(p_1) = T(p_2)## can you show ##p_1 = p_2## using the usual properties of polynomials and matrices? Similarly, if ##A\in M## can you find ##p\in P_3## such that ##T(p)= A##?

Fredrik said:
You need to define this transformation more carefully. What exactly is its domain?

T:P3→M2,2

Fredrik said:
linear transformation is an isomorphism (to be more specific, a vector space isomorphism) if 1 and 2 hold. So if V and W are vector spaces, and you suspect that a function ##T:V\to W## may be an isomorphism, you should usually start by verifying that it's linear.

Ok,
I do know that its linear if: k(Tu)=T(ku) and T(u+v)=T(u)+T(v), that's simple enough.

Fredrik said:
Your descriptions of these terms are accurate, but I will still show you the definitions I use.

The terms "injective" and "surjective" are more popular. A function ##f:A\to B## is injective if the implication ##f(x)=f(y)\Rightarrow x=y## holds for all ##x,y\in A##, and surjective if ##f(A)=B##, i.e. if the range is equal to the codomain (rather than a proper subset of it). So a proof of injectivity should start with "Let x and y be arbitrary elements of A such that f(x)=f(y)". Then you prove that x=y. A proof of surjectivity should usually start with "let y be an arbitrary element of B". Then you find an x in A such that f(x)=y.

Nice,
I like these definitions better than the ones I was working with.

FeynmanIsCool said:
T:P3→M2,2
Right, so you should show that for all ##u,v\in P_3## and all ##a,b\in\mathbb R##, we have ##T(au+bv)=aTu+bTv##. Or you can break it up in two separate statements, as you did here:

FeynmanIsCool said:
Ok,
I do know that its linear if: k(Tu)=T(ku) and T(u+v)=T(u)+T(v), that's simple enough.

LCKurtz said:
If ##T(p_1) = T(p_2)## can you show ##p_1 = p_2## using the usual properties of polynomials and matrices? Similarly, if ##A\in M## can you find ##p\in P_3## such that ##T(p)= A##?

I have the tools to but I am not really sure where to start.
" If ##T(p_1) = T(p_2)## can you show ##p_1 = p_2## using the usual properties of polynomials and matrices?" I know this is the test for 1-1

and

" Similarly, if ##A\in M## can you find ##p\in P_3## such that ##T(p)= A##?" is the test for onto, but I am not sure where to start. What properties of polynomials/matrices to I use?

Fredrik said:
Right, so you should show that for all ##u,v\in P_3## and all ##a,b\in\mathbb R##, we have ##T(au+bv)=aTu+bTv##. Or you can break it up in two separate statements, as you did here:
Right, and it turns out T is linear. Since the two statements hold. I'm just confused on how to show 1-1 and onto. Before in other problems, I could find T (or was given T). Now, since I don't know T, I am a little confused on how to test its "onto-ness" or "one to one-ness".

This is what I mean:
A simple problem that popped up with the same question was:

[itex]c_{0}+c_{1}x\rightarrow (c_{0}-c_{1}, c_{1})
[/itex]

with T:P1→R2

This case is simple since I can find T, its just \begin{bmatrix} 1 &-1 \\ 0& 1 \end{bmatrix}
I could easily find its det (test for 1-1) and RREF restrictions (onto test)

On this problem, it just seems more vague...

FeynmanIsCool said:
I have the tools to but I am not really sure where to start.
" If ##T(p_1) = T(p_2)## can you show ##p_1 = p_2## using the usual properties of polynomials and matrices?" I know this is the test for 1-1

and

" Similarly, if ##A\in M## can you find ##p\in P_3## such that ##T(p)= A##?" is the test for onto, but I am not sure where to start. What properties of polynomials/matrices to I use?

You are making this much harder than it is. Say you are given$$
A = \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix} \in M$$Can you write down a polynomial in ##P_3## that maps to it? That would show ##T## is onto.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
You are making this much harder than it is. Say you are given$$
A = \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix} \in M$$Can you write down a polynomial in ##P_3## that maps to it? That would show ##T## is onto.

sure, wouldn't It just be: [itex]a_{0}+bx+cx^{2}+dx^{3}[/itex]?

edit: ahh...so that it? If the polynomial given was say: [itex]a_{0}+bx+cx^{2}+d(x+1)^{3}[/itex] then it wouldnt?

Yes. Simple, isn't it. Now show ##T## is 1-1.

I got it from here, Thanks LCKurtz and Fredrik.Im making it way harder than it it. Ohh well, now I know!

Thanks!

Related to Isomorphism Transformation: Onto and One-to-One Concept Explanation

What is simple isomorphism?

Simple isomorphism is a concept in mathematics and chemistry that refers to two or more objects or systems that have the same underlying structure or organization, but may appear different on the surface.

How is simple isomorphism different from regular isomorphism?

The main difference between simple isomorphism and regular isomorphism is that simple isomorphism only considers the underlying structure of the objects or systems, while regular isomorphism also takes into account additional properties such as size, shape, and orientation.

What are some examples of simple isomorphism?

Examples of simple isomorphism can be found in various fields, such as chemistry, biology, and mathematics. For instance, two different molecules with the same chemical formula but different structures are considered simple isomorphic. In mathematics, two groups with the same operations and relationships between elements are also simple isomorphic.

How is simple isomorphism useful in scientific research?

Simple isomorphism is a powerful tool in scientific research as it allows us to find patterns and similarities between seemingly different objects or systems. This can lead to a better understanding of the underlying principles and can help in predicting the behavior of one system based on the knowledge of another.

What are some potential challenges in identifying simple isomorphism?

One of the main challenges in identifying simple isomorphism is the possibility of false positives. In other words, two objects or systems may appear to be simple isomorphic, but upon closer examination, it is discovered that they have different underlying structures. Another challenge is the complexity of some systems, which may make it difficult to identify the underlying structure and determine if they are simple isomorphic.