Isometric operators- spectrum preserving?

In summary: It's definitely possible that the free hamiltonian annihilates the bound states, but it's not clear that this is always the case. For example, in the case of a potential, the free hamiltonian may not annihilate the bound states, and the potential energy might instead be quantized.
muppet
Hi all,
I'm working on Taylor's text on scattering (a reference from Peskin and Schroeder). They define the Moller operators [tex]\Omega[/tex] which are isometric, satisfying
[tex]\Omega^{\dagger}\Omega=1[/tex]
This is not necessarily the same as unitary in an infinite dimensional space, the difference being that an infinite dimensional space can be mapped isometrically onto a proper subset of itself, so that state vectors exist for which [tex]\Omega^{-1}[/tex] is undefined. On states in the range of \Omega
[tex]\Omega^{\dagger}=\Omega^{-1}[/tex];
for states outside of this range, [tex]\Omega^{\dagger}=0[/tex].

They show that
[tex]\Omega^{\dagger}H\Omega=H_0[/tex]
where H is an interacting hamiltonian and H_0 its kinetic term. They argue that if Omega were unitary then H and H_0 would have to have the same spectra; only in the case where H has no bound states is Omega unitary, and the spectra coincide.

My question is: is it true that the spectrum of H_0 coincides with the energies of the non-bound states of H? This assumption is usually made in other treatments of scattering I've seen, and it seems a reasonable conclusion, but it's striking that the author belabours the non-unitarity of Omega rather than explains the reasoning behind what's taken as a given in other accounts, and the book is very careful to point out that other plausible statements can be wrong (for example, the Moller operators are non-unitary even though they are defined as the limit of a product of unitary operators, and the calculus of limits theorem doesn't hold for operators apparently, which is also something I'd like to understand better).

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
is it true that the spectrum of H_0 coincides with the energies of the non-bound states of H?
I think you're right that this is a reasonable assumption but definitely an assumption. For example in a field theory in which the mass renormalization is finite, the space of continuum states of H and H0 would be different.

Thanks for your reply.
I think it may actually be possible to demonstrate the partial equivalence of the spectra,
Let
[tex]H|\psi\rangle =E|\psi\rangle[/tex]
and
[tex]\Omega|\phi\rangle=|\psi\rangle[/tex]
Then
[tex]H|\psi\rangle=H\Omega|\phi\rangle=E\Omega|\phi \rangle [/tex]
Acting on the left with \Omega^{\dagger} we then have
[tex]\Omega^{\dagger} H \Omega|\phi\rangle =H_0|\phi\rangle=E\Omega^{\dagger}\Omega|\phi \rangle =E|\phi\rangle[/tex]
Therefore
[tex]H_0|\phi\rangle =E|\phi\rangle[/tex]
i.e. the image of an eigenstate of the free hamiltonian under a Moller operator is an eigenstate of the full hamiltonian with the same eigenvalue.

Thinking about this setup a little more, however, it seems that taking the adjoint of
[tex]\Omega^{\dagger}H\Omega=H_0[/tex]
implies that the free hamiltonian should annihilate the bound states, which seems highly suspect... any thoughts?

Related to Isometric operators- spectrum preserving?

1. What are isometric operators?

Isometric operators are linear transformations between two normed vector spaces that preserve the norm. This means that the length of a vector remains unchanged after the transformation.

2. How do isometric operators preserve the spectrum?

Isometric operators preserve the spectrum of a matrix by maintaining the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the original matrix. This means that the eigenvalues of the transformed matrix are the same as the eigenvalues of the original matrix.

3. What is the significance of preserving the spectrum?

The spectrum of a matrix contains important information about its properties and behavior. Preserving the spectrum allows for a better understanding and analysis of the matrix, and can also be useful in solving certain mathematical problems.

4. Can any linear transformation be an isometric operator?

No, not all linear transformations are isometric operators. Only those that preserve the norm, or length, of vectors can be considered isometric operators.

5. How are isometric operators related to unitary operators?

Isometric operators are a subset of unitary operators. Unitary operators not only preserve the norm, but also preserve inner products between vectors. Isometric operators, on the other hand, only preserve the norm.