Isolated Singularity: Explained

• Thread starter krindik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Singularity
In summary, the function has an isolated singularity at z=0, but it is said that it also has a non-isolated singularity at z=0.
krindik
Hi,
The function [itex]\frac{1}{\sin(\frac{\pi}{z})}[/itex] has isolated singularities at z=+-1, +-1/2, ...

However, it is said that it has an non-isolated singularity at z=0.
A non-isolated singularity has to be a point where its neigborhood too is also singular.

But, for some [itex]\epsilon > 0 ,\, \frac{1}{\sin(\frac{\pi}{\epsilon})}[/itex] is not singular eg. [itex]\epsilon = 0.000001 [/itex]

Can u pls explain.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
krindik said:
Hi,
The function [itex]\frac{1}{\sin(\frac{\pi}{z})}[/itex] has isolated singularities at z=+-1, +-1/2, ...

A non-isolated singularity has to be a point where its neigborhood too is also singular.

But, for some [itex]\epsilon > 0 ,\, \frac{1}{\sin(\frac{\pi}{\epsilon})}[/itex] is not singular eg. [itex]\epsilon = 0.000001 [/itex]

Can u pls explain.

Thanks

My guess is that this function has a branch cut and in the neighborhood of z=0, there are singularities at the branch cut, as well as exactly at zero.

Note that I haven't studied that function carefully, so it's just a guess.

I've had trouble with this concept too. It's really confusing.

Here is a link to an explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_cut

I've also attached a PDF which talks about this a little.

Attachments

• poles-residues.pdf
    298.4 KB · Views: 258
Thanks.
Isn't branch cuts used for multi-valued functions? ie. to map multi-valued functions to single-valued functions on Reimann sheets?

krindik said:
Thanks.
Isn't branch cuts used for multi-valued functions? ie. to map multi-valued functions to single-valued functions on Reimann sheets?

Yes. A simple example is natural logarithm log(z). The negative real axis is used as an arbitrary cut to define a single valued function. This then creates a singularity so that no matter how small the neighborhood around z=0, there is the singularity at zero and at the branch cut a small distance away from z=0. I'm guessing your function has the same issue, but I have not verified that.

krindik said:
Hi,

Yes, there's a neighborhood around 0.000001 where everything's fine. But within a circle of radius 0.000001 around zero there are infinitely many singularities.

Thanks,

Yes, there's a neighborhood around 0.000001 where everything's fine. But within a circle of radius 0.000001 around zero there are infinitely many singularities.

But how can there be a singularity in [itex]0 < |z| < 0.000001 [/itex] ? eg. at [itex] \frac{0.000001}{2} [/itex] because [itex]
\frac{1}{\sin(\frac{\pi}{\frac{0.000001}{2}})} [/itex] is not singular?

Can u pls elaborate?

The branch-cut concept I mentioned may apply here, but I see CRGreathouse's point. The mapping of the real number line, via pi/z, into the sine function creates an infinity of zeros inside any finite radius that is established. This is a much simpler way to show that the point is a non-isolated singularity.

Last edited:
It's a non-issolated singularity and no branch cuts are involved: [tex]\csc(a/z)[/tex] is single-valued. The origin is a non-issolated singularity because there is no deleted neighborhood of the origin, [tex]D(0,\delta)[/tex], however small, that contains only one singularity. I think also it's a bonifide non-issolated, essential singularity, that is, in any deleted neighborhood of the origin, the function assumes every value in C infinitely often.

squidsoft said:
It's a non-issolated singularity and no branch cuts are involved: [tex]\csc(a/z)[/tex] is single-valued.

This function seems to have the same issue as the log(z) function in that angles with multiples of 2pi do not give the same answer. See the following calculations from Matlab. Since log(z) is considered to have a branch cut on the negative real axis, to have single-values, should not this function also?

>> 1/sin(-pi/.0001)

ans =

2.4250e+011

>> 1/sin(pi/.0001/exp(-i*pi))

ans =

1.2965e+011 -1.2096e+011i

>> 1/sin(pi/.0001/exp(i*pi))

ans =

1.2965e+011 +1.2096e+011i

The fact that there are three different answers above shows that the function is not single valued unless a branch cut is used to define a modified function that is single valued, this then generates a discontinuity at the branch cut.

Thanks.

I got ur point. What u r saying is the given function can get any value within the neighborhood of z=0.

This can be easily visualized for example by [itex]e^{\frac{1}{z}}[/itex]
Representing z in polar form we get,
[itex]e^{\frac{1}{z}} = A e^{\imath\alpha}[/itex]

We can represent [itex]r, \theta[/itex] in terms of [itex]A, \alpha[/itex] and by keeping [itex]A = const, \alpha=2\pi n, n=\pm{1}, \pm{2}, ... [/itex] we can get many values for r

Note also the Picard's theorem : if an analytic function f(z) has an essential singularity at a point w then on any open set containing w, f(z) takes on all possible complex values, with at most a single exception, infinitely often.

Related to Isolated Singularity: Explained

1. What is an isolated singularity?

An isolated singularity is a point in a mathematical function where the function is undefined or infinite. It is isolated because it is surrounded by points where the function is defined and finite.

2. How does an isolated singularity differ from a regular singularity?

A regular singularity is a point in a function where the function approaches infinity or becomes undefined, but is not isolated. This means that there are other points nearby where the function also becomes infinite or undefined. In contrast, an isolated singularity is surrounded by points where the function is well-behaved.

3. What causes an isolated singularity?

An isolated singularity can occur when a function has a pole or essential singularity at a specific point. A pole occurs when the function approaches infinity at that point, while an essential singularity is a more complicated type of singularity where the function has no limit at that point.

4. How are isolated singularities relevant to scientific research?

Isolated singularities are important in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to study the behavior of complex systems and to better understand the properties of functions and their limits.

5. Can isolated singularities be avoided or eliminated?

In most cases, isolated singularities cannot be avoided or eliminated. They are inherent properties of certain functions and cannot be changed. However, in some cases, it is possible to transform a function to remove an isolated singularity or to find a way to work around it in a specific problem or application.