ISIS image subtraction program; trouble running

In summary, A user is seeking help with using the ISIS image subtraction program written by Alard. They are encountering an error during the second step of the tutorial and suspect it may be related to the stamping process. Another user has also experienced this problem and suggests adding 10,000 ADU to each pixel in the file using either IRAF or PyFits.
akf1001
Hi, I'm a bit new to the forums, this is my first post in fact, but I didn't know where else to go for help on this kind of matter.

I'm not sure if anyone here has used ISIS image subtraction program written by Alard, available online at http://www2.iap.fr/users/alard/package.html, but I'm hoping someone has.

I'm currently working on a bit of research that requires PSF matching to work, and this program should easily take care of that. However, I can't find any documentation other than his tutorial on how to use it.

That would be fine, as I have it installed, but it fails during the second step of the tutorial (the ref.csh) on my data.

Specifically, I get "Run error...Singular matrix in routine LUDCMP
Goodbye ! "

I think it has something to do with the stamping process, since it says the sigma and median of my image are both zero before this, and that the number of stamps is 0.

Here's hoping someone is able to help, it's driving me a bit insane. Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I am having the same problem!
Did you figure it out??
please help!

I had this problem. The problem originates when finding the astrometric solution (i.e. when using ./interp.csh). Check your interp_ files and see if the pixel value is 1 at every (or most) pixels. If so, this is what causes the problem.

Try adding 10,000 ADU to each pixel in the file. You can do this in IRAF or with PyFits.

IRAF: imarith file.fits + 10000 output.fits

Related to ISIS image subtraction program; trouble running

1. What is the ISIS image subtraction program?

The ISIS image subtraction program is a software tool used for subtracting one astronomical image from another in order to identify any changes or differences between them. It is commonly used in the field of astronomy to study variable objects such as stars and galaxies.

2. How does the ISIS image subtraction program work?

The ISIS image subtraction program works by aligning and scaling two images, one of which is considered the reference image and the other is the comparison image. The program then subtracts the reference image from the comparison image pixel by pixel, resulting in a new image that highlights any changes or differences between the two.

3. Why am I having trouble running the ISIS image subtraction program?

There could be several reasons for having trouble running the ISIS image subtraction program. It is possible that the program is not compatible with your computer's operating system or there may be a software glitch. It is also important to ensure that the images you are using are properly formatted and suitable for the program.

4. Can I use the ISIS image subtraction program for any type of image?

No, the ISIS image subtraction program is specifically designed for astronomical images and may not work with other types of images. It is important to ensure that the images you are using are in the correct format and have the necessary information for the program to run successfully.

5. Are there any alternative programs to the ISIS image subtraction program?

Yes, there are several alternative programs that can perform similar tasks to the ISIS image subtraction program. Some popular options include IRAF, SExtractor, and AstroImageJ. It is important to research and compare different programs to find the best fit for your specific needs.