Compute 1D Ising Correlation w/ Periodic, Anti-Periodic BDs

In summary, the conversation is about computing correlation functions for the 1D Ising model of length L with different boundary conditions, namely periodic, anti-periodic, and two other specific cases. The transfer matrix technique is used, but the output of the calculation is different depending on the boundary conditions. The explicit calculation for the 1D model with 3 sites and periodic boundary conditions is correct, but for anti-periodic boundary conditions, it is incorrect.
decerto

Homework Statement

Compute correlation functions ##<\sigma_r \sigma_{r+l}>## for the 1D Ising model of length L with the follow BD conditions

(i) Periodic
(ii) Anti-Periodic
(iii) ##\sigma_1 = \sigma_{L+1}=1##
(iv) ##\sigma_1= -\sigma_{L+1}=1##

Homework Equations

##<\sigma_r \sigma_{r+l}> = \displaystyle\frac{1}{Z}\sum_{\sigma_l=\pm 1}^{L-1}e^{K(\sum_{k=1}^{L-1}\sigma_k \sigma_{k+1} +\sigma_1 \sigma_{L+1})} \sigma_r \sigma_{r+l}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know how to compute the partition function for the periodic case as its fairly common and I have a solution to computing the correlation function to http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys7240/phys7240_fa14/notes/Week1.pdf although I don't understand how he goes from 1.11 to 1.12.But these solutions use the Trace of the transfer matrix which I am pretty sure is unique to the periodic BD conditions. Any help on how to compute these in general would be appreciated as I missed the lecture on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you understood the transfer matrix technique? the first n-1 spin sum just becomes the normal trace of the transfer matrix. But then you have [itex]\sigma_m[/itex], but the possible value of [itex]\sigma_m[/itex] are 1 and -1, with introduction of pauli matrix(+1 and -1 remember?), it just becomes a normal trace once again.

jitu16 said:
Did you understood the transfer matrix technique? the first n-1 spin sum just becomes the normal trace of the transfer matrix. But then you have [itex]\sigma_m[/itex], but the possible value of [itex]\sigma_m[/itex] are 1 and -1, with introduction of pauli matrix(+1 and -1 remember?), it just becomes a normal trace once again.

Can you explain why this explicit calculation of the 1D model with 3 sites and periodic BDs is incorrect

##Z=\displaystyle\sum_{\sigma_1=\pm1}\sum_{\sigma_2=\pm1}\sum_{\sigma_3=\pm1}e^{K(\sum_{k=1}^2\sigma_k \sigma_{k+1} + \sigma_3 \sigma_1)}##

##=\displaystyle\sum_{\sigma_1=\pm1}\sum_{\sigma_2=\pm1}\sum_{\sigma_3=\pm1}e^{K(\sigma_1 \sigma_2 + \sigma_2 \sigma_3 + \sigma_3 \sigma_1)}##

##=\displaystyle\sum_{\sigma_1=\pm1}\sum_{\sigma_2=\pm1}e^{K(\sigma_1 \sigma_2 + \sigma_2 + \sigma_1)}+e^{K(\sigma_1 \sigma_2 + -\sigma_2 + -\sigma_1)}##

##=\displaystyle\sum_{\sigma_1=\pm1}e^{K(\sigma_1 + 1 + \sigma_1)}+e^{K(\sigma_1 -1 + -\sigma_1)}+e^{K(-\sigma_1 -1 + \sigma_1)}+e^{K(-\sigma_1+ 1 + -\sigma_1)}##

##=e^{K(1 + 1 + 1)}+e^{K(1 -1 + -1)}+e^{K(-1 -1 + 1)}+e^{K(-1+ 1 + -1)}+e^{K(-1 + 1 + -1)}+e^{K(-1 -1 + 1)}+e^{K(1 -1 -1)}+e^{K(1+ 1 + 1)}##

##=e^{K(3)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(3)}##

##=2e^{3K}+6e^{-K}##

nvm It's correct, I guess I don't understand how the transfer matrix works, I thought it was dependant on periodic BDs to get the trace

Last edited:
Which boundary condition are you referring to?? If it's periodic then your calculation is right but if it's anti-periodic then your calculation is wrong.

Related to Compute 1D Ising Correlation w/ Periodic, Anti-Periodic BDs

1. What is a 1D Ising model?

A 1D Ising model is a mathematical model used in statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of a system of interacting spins. It consists of a linear chain of particles, with each particle having an associated spin value. The interactions between neighboring spins can be either ferromagnetic (aligned) or antiferromagnetic (opposite), and the goal is to understand how the spins align or disorder as the temperature changes.

2. What is correlation in the context of 1D Ising models?

Correlation in the context of 1D Ising models refers to the relationship between the spin values of neighboring particles. It describes how likely it is for two spins to have the same or opposite values, and is an important measure for understanding the behavior of the system.

3. What does "Periodic, Anti-Periodic BDs" refer to?

"Periodic, Anti-Periodic BDs" refers to the boundary conditions imposed on the 1D Ising model. Periodic boundary conditions means that the first and last spins in the chain are considered to be neighbors, while anti-periodic boundary conditions means they are considered to be opposites. These boundary conditions can have a significant impact on the behavior of the system.

4. How is the 1D Ising correlation calculated?

The 1D Ising correlation is typically calculated using statistical mechanics techniques, such as the transfer matrix method or Monte Carlo simulations. These methods involve considering all possible spin configurations and calculating the probability of each one occurring, which can then be used to determine the correlation between neighboring spins.

5. Why are periodic and anti-periodic boundary conditions important in 1D Ising models?

Periodic and anti-periodic boundary conditions are important in 1D Ising models because they can significantly affect the behavior of the system. For example, in systems with periodic boundary conditions, the spins tend to align and form larger clusters, while in systems with anti-periodic boundary conditions, the spins tend to disorder and form smaller clusters. These boundary conditions also allow for the study of different types of phase transitions in the system.