Isentropic process (temperature and pressure relationship)

In summary, the equation for an isentropic process is P2/P1=(T2/T1)^[γ/(γ-1)] or P2/P1=(T2/T1)^[(γ-1)/γ], where γ = 1.4 for air. However, it seems that one of these equations may be incorrect and further derivation is needed to determine the correct relationship between temperature and pressure.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

for isentropic process, which of the following is true about the relationship of temperature and pressure?

(1): P2/P1=(T2/T1)^[γ/(γ-1)]
(2): P2/P1=(T2/T1)^[(γ-1)/γ]

where γ = 1.4 for air

Homework Equations

stated above

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found equation (1) in my module lecture notes and both equation (1) and (2) in my textbook.

Let me attached the image of the related part of the textbook here:
For (1): https://i.imgur.com/Z7vPTWX.png
Z7vPTWX.png

For (2): https://i.imgur.com/nsrmUL0.png
nsrmUL0.png

I feel like they are giving out different answer and I am not sure which one is true or which implies in what specific condition.
Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you can derive the correct expression yourself. Hint: Use the ideal gas law to eliminate the pressure in the isentropic expression pVγ = constant.

Likes Chestermiller
I remember our lecturer had derived the equation during lecture and what she got is this.
yecko said:
(1): P2/P1=(T2/T1)^[γ/(γ-1)]

Do you think the other equation (i.e. P2/P1=(T2/T1)^[(γ-1)/γ] ) is wrong?
Thanks.

I think that one of the two equations is a typo. Can you figure out which one? Just reconstruct your lecturer's derivation as I outlined in post #2.

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Isentropic process (temperature and pressure relationship)

1. What is an isentropic process?

An isentropic process is a thermodynamic process in which the entropy of a system remains constant. This means that there is no heat transfer or dissipation of energy during the process.

2. How does temperature change in an isentropic process?

In an isentropic process, temperature changes as a result of changes in pressure. As the pressure decreases, the temperature decreases and vice versa. This relationship is known as the isentropic temperature-pressure relationship.

3. What is the significance of the isentropic process?

The isentropic process is significant because it is an idealized process that allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of real-world processes more easily. It also serves as a useful tool in engineering and thermodynamics.

4. How is the isentropic process different from the adiabatic process?

While both processes involve no heat transfer, the main difference is that the isentropic process also has no dissipation of energy. In other words, the isentropic process is a special case of the adiabatic process where there is no change in entropy.

5. Can the isentropic process occur in real-world systems?

No, the isentropic process is an idealized process and cannot occur in real-world systems. However, it can be approximated in certain situations where there is minimal heat transfer and energy dissipation.