Is X(n) a Markov Sequence Given Its Dependency on Previous Coin Tosses?

• Thread starter alidemedi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation is about whether the sequence X(n) defined as the sum of the last two tosses of a fair coin is a Markov sequence. The initial attempt at a solution states that it is not Markov, but in the posted solutions, it is given as Markov. The disagreement arises from the fact that the probabilities of X(n+1) depend on the values of Y(n) and Y(n-1), making it non-Markov. The conversation concludes that the posted solution may be incorrect.
alidemedi
Hi, this was a midterm problem in a probability class.

Homework Statement

A fair coin is tossed repeatedly with results Y(0), Y(1)... that are 1 or 0 for heads or tails. For n>0, define a new sequence X(n) = Y(n)+Y(n-1), i.e. the number of 1's in the last two tosses.
Is Xn a markov sequence?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought, when X(n) = 1, we cannot determine P( X(n+1) | X(n) ), due to the fact that the values X(n+1) can take depends on whether the last two flips were 0 and 1 or 1 and 0. In the former case we can have X(n+1)= 0 or 1, whereas in the latter we can have X(n+1)=1 or 2. The probabilities of all these are 1/2, but the values are different. So i said X(n) is not markov.

In the posted solutions, X(n) is given as markov. Probabilities in the above case are calculated as

P(X(n+1)=0 | X(n) = 1) = P(X(n+1) =0 | Y(n)=0, Y(n-1)=1)*P(Y(n)=0, Y(n-1)=1) + P(X(n+1) =0 | Y(n)=1, Y(n-1)=0)*P(Y(n)=1, Y(n-1)=0)
= 1/2*1/2 + 0*1/2 = 1/4.

Similarly, P(1|1) is found to be 1/2 and P(2|1) is 1/4.

What is confusing is that, I thought, when X(n) is given, there must be a certain realization for Y(n) and Y(n-1), so we couldn't do the above...

Physics news on Phys.org
alidemedi said:
Hi, this was a midterm problem in a probability class.

Homework Statement

A fair coin is tossed repeatedly with results Y(0), Y(1)... that are 1 or 0 for heads or tails. For n>0, define a new sequence X(n) = Y(n)+Y(n-1), i.e. the number of 1's in the last two tosses.
Is Xn a markov sequence?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought, when X(n) = 1, we cannot determine P( X(n+1) | X(n) ), due to the fact that the values X(n+1) can take depends on whether the last two flips were 0 and 1 or 1 and 0. In the former case we can have X(n+1)= 0 or 1, whereas in the latter we can have X(n+1)=1 or 2. The probabilities of all these are 1/2, but the values are different. So i said X(n) is not markov.

In the posted solutions, X(n) is given as markov. Probabilities in the above case are calculated as

P(X(n+1)=0 | X(n) = 1) = P(X(n+1) =0 | Y(n)=0, Y(n-1)=1)*P(Y(n)=0, Y(n-1)=1) + P(X(n+1) =0 | Y(n)=1, Y(n-1)=0)*P(Y(n)=1, Y(n-1)=0)
= 1/2*1/2 + 0*1/2 = 1/4.

Similarly, P(1|1) is found to be 1/2 and P(2|1) is 1/4.

What is confusing is that, I thought, when X(n) is given, there must be a certain realization for Y(n) and Y(n-1), so we couldn't do the above...

I am not convinced by the above posted solution. We need to worry about whether
P{X(n+1) = j | X(n) = i, X(n-1) = i1} = P{X(n+1) = j|X(n) = i}; that is, we need to know that giving X(n-1) or earlier X(t) will not affect the probability of X(n+1).

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
I am not convinced by the above posted solution. We need to worry about whether
P{X(n+1) = j | X(n) = i, X(n-1) = i1} = P{X(n+1) = j|X(n) = i}; that is, we need to know that giving X(n-1) or earlier X(t) will not affect the probability of X(n+1).

RGV

Oh that is right! For example, P{X(n+1) = 0 | X(n) = 1, X(n-1) = 0} = 0, which would not be equal to P{X(n+1) = 0 | X(n) = 1} = 1/4 given above!

So, was her solution incorrect then? It seems so.

Related to Is X(n) a Markov Sequence Given Its Dependency on Previous Coin Tosses?

1. Is X(n) a Markov sequence?

The answer depends on the characteristics of the sequence. A Markov sequence is a type of stochastic process where the probability of a future state only depends on the current state and not on any previous states. Therefore, if the sequence satisfies this property, it can be considered a Markov sequence.

2. How can I determine if X(n) is a Markov sequence?

To determine if a sequence is Markovian, you can use the Markov property and check if the probability of the next state only depends on the current state. This can be done by analyzing the transition probabilities and looking for any patterns or dependencies. Additionally, you can use statistical tests or mathematical models to verify the Markov property.

3. What are the applications of Markov sequences?

Markov sequences have various applications in fields such as physics, biology, finance, and computer science. They are commonly used to model and analyze random processes, predict future states, and make decisions based on probabilities. Markov sequences are also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.

4. Can a sequence be partially Markovian?

Yes, a sequence can be partially Markovian. This means that the sequence may satisfy the Markov property for some states, but not for others. In such cases, the sequence is considered to be a semi-Markov process. Partially Markovian sequences are often used to model real-world systems that have both random and deterministic components.

5. What are the limitations of Markov sequences?

Markov sequences have some limitations, such as assuming that the future state is only dependent on the current state. This may not always be true in real-world scenarios. Additionally, Markov sequences cannot account for long-term dependencies and are limited to modeling memoryless processes. In some cases, more complex models may be needed to accurately represent the dynamics of a system.