Is X Always Commutative with Y in Matrix Invariance?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, to access this week's POTW, you can visit the official website of the organization or publication that hosts it. The POTW is a weekly challenge designed to test your problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Each organization may have their own restrictions and guidelines for solving the POTW, so it is important to check before working with others. Solving the POTW can improve your skills and may offer rewards or recognition from the hosting organization.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Since many schools have just started the school year, I'd like to begin September's POTW with an important, yet simple problem.

-----
Suppose $X$ and $Y$ are $n \times n$ complex matrices such that $X$ is $Y$-invariant, i.e., $e^{zY}Xe^{-zY} = X$ for all $z\in \Bbb C$. Prove that $X$ and $Y$ commute.
-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one solved this week's problem correctly. You can read my solution below.
Differentiate the equation $e^{zY}Xe^{-zY} = X$ with respect to $z$ to obtain

$$Ye^{zY}Xe^{-zY} - e^{zY}XYe^{-zY} = 0,$$

then set $z = 0$ to get $YX - XY = 0$, or $YX = XY$.

Related to Is X Always Commutative with Y in Matrix Invariance?

1. How do I access this week's POTW?

You can access this week's POTW by visiting the official website of the organization or publication that hosts the POTW. It is usually posted on their homepage or under a designated section for puzzles or challenges.

2. What is the concept behind the POTW?

The POTW, or "Problem of the Week", is a weekly challenge or puzzle that is designed to test your problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. It usually involves a specific problem or scenario that requires a logical approach to solve.

3. Are there any restrictions or guidelines for solving the POTW?

Each organization or publication may have their own set of rules or guidelines for solving the POTW. These may include restrictions on the use of outside resources, a time limit for submitting your solution, or specific instructions on how to present your answer.

4. Can I work with others to solve the POTW?

It depends on the rules set by the organization or publication hosting the POTW. Some may allow group or team submissions, while others may require individual solutions. Be sure to check the guidelines before collaborating with others.

5. What are the benefits of solving the POTW?

Solving the POTW can help improve your problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and logical reasoning. It also provides a fun and challenging activity that can keep your mind sharp and engaged. Additionally, some organizations may offer prizes or recognition for those who successfully solve the POTW.