Is |x|^3 Differentiable at x=0?

In summary, the function |x|^3 is differentiable at all points, including x=0, with a derivative of 0.
varygoode
[SOLVED] Is |x|^3 differentiable?

Homework Statement

Is [tex] |x|^3 [/tex] differentiable?

Homework Equations

[tex] Def: \ Let \ f \ be \ defined \ (and \ real-valued) \ on [a,b]. \ \ For \ any \ x \in [a,b], \ form \ the \ quotient [/tex]

[tex]\phi(t)=\frac{f(t)-f(x)}{t-x} \ \ \ \ (a<t<b, \ t\neqx), \\ [/tex]

[tex] and \ define \\ [/tex]

[tex] f^{'}(x)=\lim_{\substack{t\rightarrow x}} \phi(t) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, using the definition, I calculated that the right-hand limit and left hand limit are different. But I'm not sure if that means anything or what I can conclude here. Nor am I sure how I should define the left and right limits here.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the left hand limit and the right hand limit are different, then the limit that defines the derivative at that point does not exists: the function is not differentiable.

However, I'm not sure it's not differentiable in this case... if there were a problem it would be at x = 0 and when I sketch a picture I don't immediately see a problem arising. Can you show us the calculation for the limit?

The left hand derivative and the right hand derivative at x=0 are both zero. It's differentiable.

CompuChip said:
If the left hand limit and the right hand limit are different, then the limit that defines the derivative at that point does not exists: the function is not differentiable.
How did you get that the right and left hand derivatives are different? If t> 0, |f(t)|= |t^3|= t^3 then at x= 0,
[tex]\frac{f(t)-f(x)}{t- x}= \frac{|t^3|}{t}= \frac{t^3}{t}= t^2[/tex]
and the limit of that, as t goes to 0, is 0.

If t< 0, |f(t)|= |t^3|= -t^3. At x= 0,
[tex]\frac{f(t)-f(x)}{t-x}= \frac{|t^3|}{t}= \frac{-t^3}{t}= -t^2[/tex]
but the limit, as t goes to 0, is still 0. The function is differentiable at 0 and the derivative there is 0.

Obviously, if x> 0, [itex]f(x)=|x^3|= x^3[/itex] which is differentiable and if x< 0, [itex]f(x)= |x^3|= -x^3[/itex] which is differentiable.

Ah, I see what I did now. Totally forgot to cube my expression in my calculations, hahaha. Alrighty, thanks Ivy.

[tex] |x|^3 [/tex] the same as [tex] |x^3| [\tex] ?

They are equal, not same. They are different functions.

Related to Is |x|^3 Differentiable at x=0?

What is the definition of differentiability?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness of a function. A function is considered differentiable at a point if its derivative exists at that point. The derivative of a function measures the rate of change of the function at that point.

What does |x|^3 mean?

|x|^3 is a mathematical expression that represents the absolute value of x cubed. This means that any negative value of x will be squared and then cubed, resulting in a positive value. For example, |-2|^3 = 8, because |-2| = 2 and 2^3 = 8.

Is |x|^3 differentiable at x = 0?

No, |x|^3 is not differentiable at x = 0. This is because the function is not smooth at this point. The derivative of |x|^3 at x = 0 does not exist, as the function changes direction abruptly at this point.

Is |x|^3 differentiable everywhere else?

Yes, |x|^3 is differentiable everywhere else except at x = 0. This is because the function is smooth and continuous at all other points, allowing for a well-defined derivative at those points.

How can we prove that |x|^3 is not differentiable at x = 0?

We can use the definition of differentiability to prove that |x|^3 is not differentiable at x = 0. This involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as x approaches 0. If the limit does not exist, then the function is not differentiable at that point.