Is (Wt)2 a Brownian Motion? Analyzing the Distribution of Vt+s - Vs

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether (Wt)2 is a Brownian motion and the approach to proving or disproving this. The concept of a standard Brownian motion and its properties are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about the normal distribution of a brownian motion V.
Firepanda
I need to show that (Wt)2 is a brownian motion

So let Vt = (Wt)2

I need to first show that Vt+s - Vs ~ N(0,t)

Vt+s - Vs = (Wt+s)2 - (Ws)2 = (Wt+s + Ws)(Wt+s - Ws)

(Wt+s - Ws) ~ N(0,t)

But is (Wt+s + Ws) ~ N(0,t)?

If it is what happens when I multiply two RV's that are normally distributed together? What can I say about the variance of the new distribution?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Firepanda said:
I need to show that (Wt)2 is a brownian motion

So let Vt = (Wt)2

I need to first show that Vt+s - Vs ~ N(0,t)

Vt+s - Vs = (Wt+s)2 - (Ws)2 = (Wt+s + Ws)(Wt+s - Ws)

(Wt+s - Ws) ~ N(0,t)

But is (Wt+s + Ws) ~ N(0,t)?

If it is what happens when I multiply two RV's that are normally distributed together? What can I say about the variance of the new distribution?

Thanks

You are being asked to show something that is FALSE: W_t^2 is not a Brownian motion, unless you are using an unusual definition of Brownian motion. The square of a normal random variable is essentially a chi-squared random variable with parameter 1; that is N(0,1)^2 = Chi^2(1).

RGV

Hi Ray

Thanks for responding!

Yeah sorry, the question was show if it is or is not a Brownian Motion, for some odd reason I assumed it was because the rest of the examples were

How do I show it is not a brownian motion then, which property of a BM does not hold?
Thanks

Firepanda said:
Hi Ray

Thanks for responding!

Yeah sorry, the question was show if it is or is not a Brownian Motion, for some odd reason I assumed it was because the rest of the examples were

How do I show it is not a brownian motion then, which property of a BM does not hold?
Thanks

What properties of BM are you trying to verify or deny? I have seen alternative definitions of BM; which one are you using?

RGV

These:

2q1updw.png

Also in the question I should note that W is a standard brownian motion

Firepanda said:
These:

2q1updw.png

Also in the question I should note that W is a standard brownian motion

Does property (i) hold?

RGV

That's what I was attempting in my original post.

So my brownian motion V is not normally distributed? Not sure how to show that (apart from my earlier attempt)

Related to Is (Wt)2 a Brownian Motion? Analyzing the Distribution of Vt+s - Vs

1. What is Brownian Motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid, caused by collisions with the molecules of the fluid. It was first observed and described by botanist Robert Brown in 1827.

2. What causes Brownian Motion?

Brownian motion is caused by the random thermal motion of molecules in a fluid. This random motion leads to collisions with the suspended particles, causing them to move in a seemingly random pattern.

3. Can Brownian Motion be seen with the naked eye?

No, Brownian motion is too small to be seen with the naked eye. It can only be observed under a microscope or through the use of specialized equipment.

4. What is the significance of Brownian Motion?

Brownian motion has been studied extensively by scientists and has many important applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It has helped to provide evidence for the existence of atoms and molecules, and is used to model the behavior of particles in a variety of systems.

5. Can Brownian Motion be predicted?

No, Brownian motion is a random process and cannot be predicted. However, it can be described and modeled using statistical methods, which can make predictions about the overall behavior of a large number of particles.