Is {V1, V2, V3} Linearly Independent or Dependant?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the equality of vectors U1 + U2 + U3 and V1 + V2 + V3, as well as the relationship between U1 + U2 and V2. The problem being faced is finding a solution for each V in terms of U, while also determining if the set {V1, V2, V3} is linearly independent or dependent. The conversation also touches on looking at examples in various vector spaces to better understand the concept.
kikko
The numbers are subscripts.

U1 + U2 + U3 = V1 + V2 + V3

U1 + U2 = V2

I have tried solving for each V in terms of U, but this isn't working out too well.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the exact problem?

That is the exact problem. Under those conditions is {V1,V2,V3} LI or LD.

I can see U3 = V1+V3

But I'm still lost. I am trying to show one of the V's is equal to or is a multiple of another, or that they are all not equal to each other.

What are the Ui and the Vi anyway?? Vectors?? In an arbitrary vector space??

Yes.

Begin by looking at some easy examples in vector spaces you know well, such as [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex].

So I tried this out. In R^1 the vectors are Linearly Dependant due to a 0 vector.

In R^2 I can see them being both LI or LD depending on the choices for the arbitrary vectors. For R^3 I see the same. It is possible to choose an option where V1=V3, or another where they are completely Linearly Independant.

Related to Is {V1, V2, V3} Linearly Independent or Dependant?

1. Is it possible for a set of vectors to be both linearly independent and dependent at the same time?

No, a set of vectors can only be either linearly independent or dependent. It cannot be both at the same time.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent or dependent?

A set of vectors is linearly independent if the only solution to the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + c3v3 = 0 is c1 = c2 = c3 = 0. If there are other solutions, then the set is linearly dependent.

3. Can a set of two or less vectors be linearly dependent?

Yes, a set of two or less vectors can be linearly dependent. For example, if one vector is a multiple of the other, then the set is linearly dependent.

4. Is it possible for a set of vectors to be linearly independent in one dimension but linearly dependent in another dimension?

Yes, it is possible for a set of vectors to be linearly independent in one dimension but linearly dependent in another dimension. This is because linear independence is determined by the number of dimensions in which the vectors span, not the total number of dimensions.

5. What is the significance of a set of vectors being linearly independent or dependent?

The linear independence or dependence of a set of vectors is important in linear algebra and other areas of mathematics. It helps determine the span and basis of a vector space, as well as the dimension of a vector space. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and in various applications in physics and engineering.