Is Using Exponent Identities Allowed in Solving Trigonometric Integrals?

In summary, the conversation is about solving the integral \int^{\pi/2}_{0} \frac{sin^{2009}x}{sin^{2009}x + cos^{2009}x} using the identity cos^{2}= 1 - sin^{2} and whether it is a valid solution or not. It is mentioned that the Pythagorean trigonometric identity is not valid when replacing the exponent 2 by another number. The solution is to try the change of variables x -> pi/2-x and add it to the old integral. The answer is found and the conversation ends with a thank you.
XJellieBX

Homework Statement

Compute [tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0} \frac{sin^{2009}x}{sin^{2009}x + cos^{2009}x}[/tex]

I used the identity [tex]cos^{2}= 1 - sin^{2}[/tex], but instead I set the exponent as 2009. And so I ended up with the answer being -1. I'm just wondering whether this is a legal solution or am I not allowed to do that. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]sin^{2}x + cos^{2}x = 1[/tex] is the so called Pythagorean trigonometric identity. It is not valid when replacing the exponent 2 by another number, i.e.,

[tex]sin^{n}x + cos^{n}x \neq 1[/tex] for [tex]n\neq 2[/tex].

Thank you, I really needed that second opinion =)

XJellieBX said:

Homework Statement

Compute [tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0} \frac{sin^{2009}x}{sin^{2009}x + cos^{2009}x}[/tex]

I used the identity [tex]cos^{2}= 1 - sin^{2}[/tex], but instead I set the exponent as 2009. And so I ended up with the answer being -1. I'm just wondering whether this is a legal solution or am I not allowed to do that. Thanks.

Try the change of variables x -> pi/2-x to get a new integral. Then add it to the old integral.

Thank you =) I found the answer.

Related to Is Using Exponent Identities Allowed in Solving Trigonometric Integrals?

What are the basic definitions of sine and cosine integrals?

The sine and cosine integrals are defined as the antiderivatives of the functions sin(x)/x and (1-cos(x))/x, respectively.

How are sine and cosine integrals used in mathematics?

Sine and cosine integrals are used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics, including calculating areas under curves, finding the lengths of curves, and solving differential equations.

What are the properties of sine and cosine integrals?

Sine and cosine integrals have several important properties, including being odd functions, having a period of 2π, and being equal to each other when evaluated from 0 to π/2.

How do you evaluate a sine or cosine integral?

There are several techniques for evaluating sine and cosine integrals, including integration by parts, substitution, and using trigonometric identities. The choice of technique depends on the specific integral being evaluated.

What are some real-world applications of sine and cosine integrals?

Sine and cosine integrals have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they are used in calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the resonant frequency of a circuit, and modeling the behavior of financial markets.