Is U Substitution the Key to Solving Tricky Integration Problems?

In summary, the conversation involves solving for dx and du in terms of u and x. The solution involves using a substitution and applying a specific technique.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-05-23at81731PMcopy.png

Screenshot2012-05-23at81731PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

if x2 = u - 1, and if x3 = x2 * x, then x3 should equal (u-1)x, not .5(u-1).

I'm assuming that they got u.5 because (x2+1).5 = (u-1+1).5 which is the same as u^.5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, what did you get?

I ended up getting (in terms of u):

$$\int\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{u}(u-1) du$$

Last edited:
if [itex]u=x^{2}+1[/itex], then what does [itex]dx[/itex] equal?

Ok, I see that .5du but I still believe that

if x2 = u - 1, and if x3 = x2 * x, then x3 should equal (u-1)x

so the new answer should be (u-1)x/2 u^.5

[itex]dx≠\frac{1}{2}du[/itex]

Show how you solve for [itex]dx[/itex].

EDIT: No, I'm sorry. Solve for [itex]du[/itex] if [itex]u=x^{2}+1[/itex].

du = 2xdx

du/2 = xdx

Yes. So then how can you write [itex]x^{3}dx=x^{2}*xdx[/itex]?

Ok, I get it now, sort of

Don't hold back if you still need help. But just make sure your questions are specific.

I think I get it, we'll see if I can apply this technique to future problems, but for now I'm moving on. Thank you for your concern and helping me out.

Related to Is U Substitution the Key to Solving Tricky Integration Problems?

1. What is U substitution in integration?

U substitution, also known as the "chain rule method," is a technique used in integration to solve integrals that involve a composition of functions. It involves substituting a new variable, typically denoted as "u," in place of a complicated function within the integral. This allows for the integral to be rewritten in a simpler form, making it easier to solve.

2. When should I use U substitution in integration?

U substitution is particularly useful when the integral involves a composition of functions, such as nested functions or functions within functions. It is also helpful when the integral involves a trigonometric function, as the substitution can often simplify the integral.

3. How do I choose the appropriate substitution for U substitution?

The key to choosing the appropriate substitution is to identify a function within the integral that can be expressed as the derivative of another function. This new function will then become "u" in the substitution. It may take some practice and trial and error to determine the best substitution for a particular integral.

4. Can U substitution be used for all integration problems?

No, U substitution is not always the best method for solving integration problems. It is most effective for integrals involving a composition of functions. Other techniques, such as integration by parts or trigonometric identities, may be more suitable for different types of integrals.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using U substitution?

One common mistake is forgetting to also substitute the limits of integration when using U substitution. This can lead to incorrect solutions. Additionally, it is important to properly differentiate the new function "u" when rewriting the integral in terms of "u." It is also important to carefully check the substitution to make sure it is valid for the entire range of integration.