Is Trig Substitution Necessary for Solving This Integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the integral of 4x/(x^2+1) and the use of u-sub and trig sub to solve it. The solution using trig sub is mentioned, as well as the need to draw a triangle and use the properties of logarithms. It is also mentioned that the substitution u=x^2+1 is simpler and the importance of writing integrals with the correct differential.
PCSL
first off, i can solve this problem easily with u-sub but the question asks to use trig sub.

[itex]\int[/itex]4x/(x2+1)

then i have x=tan(theta)
dx=sec2(theta)

=[itex]\int[/itex]4tan(theta)sec2(theta)/(tan2(theta)+1)

=[itex]\int[/itex]4tan(theta)d(theta)

=-4ln(cos(theta))=-4ln(cos(arctan(x)))

thanks for the help, this problem is driving me crazy since it appears so simple.

edit: The answer is 2ln(x2+1)+C

Physics news on Phys.org
What you really need to do here is draw a triangle. Say that you draw a triangle with the 90-degree corner on the bottom right. Now we know that tan(θ)=y/x, where y is the vertical leg of the triangle and x is the horizontal length. So if we let the vertical length of the triangle be x, and the horizontal length 1, what does this make the hypotenuse? And then, if you know the adjacent side and the hypotenuse, you can figure out cos(θ), and then just remember that θ=arctan(x).

Char. Limit said:
What you really need to do here is draw a triangle. Say that you draw a triangle with the 90-degree corner on the bottom right. Now we know that tan(θ)=y/x, where y is the vertical leg of the triangle and x is the horizontal length. So if we let the vertical length of the triangle be x, and the horizontal length 1, what does this make the hypotenuse? And then, if you know the adjacent side and the hypotenuse, you can figure out cos(θ), and then just remember that θ=arctan(x).

The hypotenuse would be rad(x2+1). I am pretty sure, however, that I messed up my integration. Could you check that since I come up with -4ln(1/rad(x2+1)) instead of 2ln(x2+1).

Assuming that rad(z) is equal to the square root of z, the two answers are actually equivalent. You just need to remember a few properties of logarithms:

[tex]-4 ln\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}\right) = 4 ln\left(\sqrt{x^2+1}\right) = 2 ln\left(x^2+1\right)[/tex]

I move from the first expression to the second (and from the second to the third) by using the logarithmic law a*ln(x)=ln(x^a). In the first case, a=-1, and in the second case a=2.

Char. Limit said:
Assuming that rad(z) is equal to the square root of z, the two answers are actually equivalent. You just need to remember a few properties of logarithms:

[tex]-4 ln\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}\right) = 4 ln\left(\sqrt{x^2+1}\right) = 2 ln\left(x^2+1\right)[/tex]

I move from the first expression to the second (and from the second to the third) by using the logarithmic law a*ln(x)=ln(x^a). In the first case, a=-1, and in the second case a=2.

I could have looked at that the rest of my life and never realized they were equal. Thank you.

However, unless you are specifically required to, you should NOT use a trig substitution for this problem. The substitution [itex]u= x^2+ 1[/itex] is much simpler.

And, by the way, never write an integral without the correct differential- your problem is NOT "[itex]\int 4x/(x^2+ 1)[/itex]", it is [itex]\int [4x/(x^2+ 1)] dx[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
However, unless you are specifically required to, you should NOT use a trig substitution for this problem. The substitution [itex]u= x^2+ 1[/itex] is much simpler.

And, by the way, never write an integral without the correct differential- your problem is NOT "[itex]\int 4x/(x^2+ 1)[/itex]", it is [itex]\int [4x/(x^2+ 1)] dx[/itex].

We were required to do trig sub for this problem. And thanks, I often forget that.

Related to Is Trig Substitution Necessary for Solving This Integral?

What is beginner trig substitution?

Beginner trig substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable in the integral, making it easier to solve.

Why is trig substitution useful?

Trig substitution is useful because it allows us to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible. It also helps us explore the relationships between trigonometric functions and other types of functions.

What are the most common trig substitutions?

The most common trig substitutions are: substituting sin(x) for a, substituting cos(x) for a, and substituting tan(x) for a. These substitutions are based on the Pythagorean identities and are used to simplify integrals involving square roots of trigonometric functions.

What are the steps to perform a beginner trig substitution?

The steps to perform a beginner trig substitution are:
1. Identify the trigonometric function or expression in the integral
2. Determine which substitution to use based on the Pythagorean identities
3. Substitute the trigonometric expression for the variable in the integral
4. Simplify the resulting integral using trigonometric identities
5. Solve the integral and substitute the original variable back in.

Can beginner trig substitution be used for all integrals involving trigonometric functions?

No, beginner trig substitution is not applicable to all integrals involving trigonometric functions. It is most useful for integrals involving square roots of trigonometric functions, and may not be effective for other types of integrals such as those with polynomial or exponential functions.