Is Topological Matter Worth Pursuing for a PhD?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a PhD in topological matter, specifically in the field of condensed matter. They inquire about the current state of experiments and whether there are promising developments. The conversation also briefly mentions the presence of Z2 topological insulators, topologically ordered systems, and topological quantum computing, as well as the involvement of both theoretical and experimental work in this field. The speaker expresses interest in learning more about the topic and potentially exploring it further.
Crass_Oscillator
I went to an applied phd program in computational biology and got bored, so now I'm considering physics. Topological matter looks fancy/sort of interesting. Does it have anything to do with actual experiments (and I mean more than just insulators/superconductors) yet? I would assume that to enter the field I'd need to be a confirmed genius if I wanted an actual academic position.

I just want to know if it's a fringe topic or something worth pursuing for a PhD.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you referring to things like symmetry protected topological phases (Z2 topological insulators) and topologically ordered systems (fractional quantum hall)? Those are actually very hot topics in condensed matter.

Likes Crass_Oscillator
radium said:
Are you referring to things like symmetry protected topological phases (Z2 topological insulators) and topologically ordered systems (fractional quantum hall)? Those are actually very hot topics in condensed matter.
Exciting! What's the connection to experiment currently? Are people very optimistic? Pessimistic?

It's a pretty big field in terms of theoretical work but terms of materials experiments I know that there are many known examples of Z2 topological insulators as well as some recently discovered topological semimetals (these are a more complicated case though) and spin liquids (topologically ordered). People have also observed some signatures of Majorana bound states in semiconducting wires and an iron atom chain I think. The latter is a big topic in topological quantum computing.

Very interesting. Who are the really good theorists? I doubt I'm cut out for theory, but I'm curious to check it out any way.

Related to Is Topological Matter Worth Pursuing for a PhD?

1. What is topological matter?

Topological matter is a type of material that exhibits unique properties due to its topological structure, which refers to the arrangement of its constituent particles or atoms. These materials can have exotic electronic, magnetic, and thermal properties that make them of interest for various applications in fields such as quantum computing and energy storage.

2. How is topological matter different from conventional matter?

Conventional matter is characterized by its physical properties, such as mass, charge, and spin. In contrast, the properties of topological matter are determined by its topological structure, rather than its constituent particles. This allows for the emergence of new and unusual properties that are not seen in conventional matter.

3. What are some examples of topological matter?

Some examples of topological matter include topological insulators, which are materials that are insulating in their bulk, but have conducting surface states due to their non-trivial topology. Other examples include topological superconductors, which can host exotic particles called Majorana fermions, and topological semimetals, which have gapless surface states protected by topology.

4. How is the status of topological matter research currently?

The study of topological matter is a rapidly growing field, with new materials and phenomena being discovered regularly. Scientists are working to understand the fundamental properties of these materials and how to manipulate their topological structures to control their properties. There is also significant interest in developing practical applications for topological matter, such as in quantum computing and energy conversion.

5. What are the main challenges in studying topological matter?

One of the main challenges in studying topological matter is the difficulty in synthesizing and characterizing these materials, as they often have complex structures and require specialized techniques. Additionally, understanding the behavior of topological matter at the quantum level is a major challenge, as it involves complex interactions between particles. There is also a need for more theoretical models and experimental techniques to fully uncover the potential of topological matter.