Is this tensor identity correct?

In summary: Surely,the best way to know whether it is correct or not is to prove it...but somehow I am not getting it.If it is correct can anyone give me some hint?The identity is not correct. The covariant vectors are not orthogonal and the determinant of a matrix is a scalar.
neelakash

Homework Statement

I do not know if the following is correct;if it is,I will be able to save some calculation while doing a problem.Can you please let me know if it is true:

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\*\epsilon_{lmn} =

\left(\begin{array}{ccc}\ g_\ {11}&\ g_\ {21}&\ g_\ {31}\\ g_\ {12}&\ g_\ {22}&\ g_\ {32}\\ g_\ {13}&\ g_\ {23}&\ g_\ {33}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

definition of [tex]\epsilon_\ {ijk}[/tex]

definition of the "metric" tensor [tex]\ g_{ij}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

let me see first if the latex output has come OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry.Last time there was a problem and the Latex output failed.

I am to prove [tex]\ det[g_{ij}]=\ V^2[/tex] where [tex]\[g_{ij}][/tex] is metric tensor and [tex]\ V=\epsilon_i\cdot\epsilon_j\times\epsilon_k[/tex]

Now,I was wondering if the identity

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}=
\begin{vmatrix}
\ g_{11}&\ g_{21}&\ g_{31}\\
g_{12}&\ g_{22}&\ g_{32}\\
g_{13}&\ g_{23}&\ g_{33}
\end{vmatrix}[/tex]

is correct---in which case the problem is solved easily.Note that the antisymmetric tensors are both co-variant.

Surely,the best way to know whether it is correct or not is to prove it...but somehow I am not getting it.If it is correct can anyone give me some hint?

I fixed your Latex. You had {cc} where you wanted {ccc} for three columns. Also you had "\{" where you only wanted "{".

You give as a "relevant equation" "the definition of [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex]. Okay, what is that definition?

We know [tex]\ g_{ij}=\ e_i\cdot\ e_j[/tex]

Now, [tex]\ V^2=\ V\ V=\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}[/tex]

My idea was if we use the defiiniton of [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}=\ e_i\cdot\ e_j\times\ e_k[/tex]

then after some vector manipulation we would get [tex]\ g_{ij}=\ e_i\cdot\ e_j[/tex],but that did not help much...

I believe the equation is correct for it reduces to a known result when one of the epsilons are covariant and the other is contravariant.

neelakash said:
I am sorry.Last time there was a problem and the Latex output failed.I am to prove [tex]\ det[g_{ij}]=\ V^2[/tex] where [tex]\[g_{ij}][/tex] is metric tensor and [tex]\ V=\epsilon_i\cdot\epsilon_j\times\epsilon_k[/tex]

Your definition of [itex]V[/itex] makes very little sense to me. Are [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex] orthogonal unit vectors sush that [itex]\epsilon_i\epsilon^j=\delta_{ij}[/itex]? How are you defining the dot and cross products between covariant vectors?

Now,I was wondering if the identity

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}=
\begin{vmatrix}
\ g_{11}&\ g_{21}&\ g_{31}\\
g_{12}&\ g_{22}&\ g_{32}\\
g_{13}&\ g_{23}&\ g_{33}
\end{vmatrix}[/tex]

I can tell you just from glancing at your proposed identity that there is no way it is correct. On the LHS of your "identity" you have a 6th rank covariant tensor (Assuming the definition you are using for [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] makes it a tensor and not a tensor density----there are at least two different definitions for [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex], so you need to tell us which one your course/textbook uses!) while on the RHS you have the determinant of a matrix; which is a scalar...how can a 6th rank tensor possibly be equal to a scalar?!

neelakash said:
We know [tex]\ g_{ij}=\ e_i\cdot\ e_j[/tex]

Now, [tex]\ V^2=\ V\ V=\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}[/tex]

No, assuming [itex]V[/itex] is a vector (again, your definition is not at all clear to me), then [itex]V^2=V_{a}V^{a}[/itex] is a scalar, why do you think it is equal to [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}[/itex]?

Last edited:
Let me tell you step by step:

A.Neither [tex]\ V[/tex] is a vector and [tex]\epsilon_i[/tex] are orthogonal unit vectors. My proposition was V is the volume of the parallelopiped whose sides are three three linearly independent vectors: [tex]\ e_i,\ e_j,\ e_k[/tex].In the first post there was a typo and I meant the unit vectors are [tex]\ e_i[/tex] and not [tex]\epsilon_i[/tex].And I do not propose [itex]\epsilon_i\epsilon^j=\delta_{ij}[/itex]

Regarding definiing dot and cross products between covariant vectors:

With this do you agree: [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}=(\ e_j\times\ e_k)\cdot\ e_i[/tex]?

Now,we also know:

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}
=\ +\ V ,[\ i,\ j,\ k \ is\ an\ even\ permutation\ of (\ 1,\ 2,\ 3)]\\
=\ -\ V ,[\ i,\ j,\ k \ is\ an\ odd\ permutation\ of (\ 1,\ 2,\ 3)]\\
=0 ,[\ two\ or\ more\ indices\ are\ equal].[/tex]

Hence, for orthonormal system, V=1 as [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}=\ 1[/tex] for even permutation.

I can tell you just from glancing at your proposed identity that there is no way it is correct. On the LHS of your "identity" you have a 6th rank covariant tensor.Assuming the definition you are using for [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] makes it a tensor and not a tensor density----there are at least two different definitions for [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex], so you need to tell us which one your course/textbook uses!) while on the RHS you have the determinant of a matrix; which is a scalar...how can a 6th rank tensor possibly be equal to a scalar?!

Yes,I can clearly see it's wrrong...I am new to tensors.

However, then why the definition that [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}=\pm\ V[/itex] etc. for even or odd permutations of 1,2,3 is correct---[itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] is also a rank three tensor...Is not it?

Last edited:
OK...I got it...[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}=\ +\ V[/tex] means ijk-th component of epsilon antisymmatric matrix is equal to V.

So,can we write ...[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}=\ V\ V=\ V^2[/tex] to mean that as we multiply ijk-th element of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] tensor and lmn-th element of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] tensor, we get the squared volume of the parallelopiped spanned by the vectors [tex]\ e_i,\ e_j,\ e_k[/tex]?

Let us refer to the link provided by robphy.Refer to the section:1.1 and 1.2---relation to Kronecker Delta and generalisation to n dimensions.

I think there is a problem with covariant and contravariant scheme written out there.[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon^{lmn}[/tex] and not [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}[/tex] is equal to the det [Kronecker delta] as long as we are not using orthonormal basis.by [Kronecker delta] I mean the matrix written there.

I thought [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}[/tex] is equal to det[g_ij] as

[tex]\ g_{ij}=\ e_i\cdot\ e_j[/tex] and

[tex]\ g_{ij}=\ e_i\cdot\ e^j=\delta_i^j[/tex]

Could I convey my thought?

Let [tex]\ e_i,\ e_j,\ e_k[/tex] form a basis,not necessarily orthogonal.Then,
[tex]\ e_i\cdot(\ e_j\times\ e_k)[/tex] is the volume |V| spanned by the bases.
In the deleted post I intended to prove
[tex]\ e_i\cdot(\ e_j\times\ e_k)=\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex]

Thus,it follows that for a non-orthogonal basis,
[tex]\ e_i\cdot(\ e_j\times\ e_k)=\epsilon_{ijk}=+V[/tex]
So,for even permutation of ijk,ijk-th element of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] tensor=+V

[tex]\ e_i\cdot(\ e_j\times\ e_k)=\epsilon_{ijk}=-V[/tex]
So,for odd permutation of ijk,ijk-th element of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] tensor=-V

etc.

However,if the basis is orthonormal,we would have |V|=1.

Thus,[tex]\ V^2=\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}=[\ e_i\cdot(\ e_j\times\ e_k)][\ e_l\cdot(\ e_m\times\ e_n)][/tex] for even permutation of {i,j,k} and {l,m,n} where {i,j,k},{l,m,n}={1,2,3}

Let [tex]\ e_i=i,\ e_j=j,\ e_k=k,\ e_l=l,\ e_m=m,\ e_n=n[/tex]

I was failing to evaluate the following determinant:

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}\ i_1&\ i_2&\ i_3\\
j_1&\ j_2&\ j_3\\
k_1&\ k_2&\ k_3
\end{vmatrix}

\begin{vmatrix}\ l_1&\ l_2&\ l_3\\
m_1&\ m_2&\ m_3\\
n_1&\ n_2&\ n_3
\end{vmatrix}

= \begin{vmatrix}\ i_1\ l_1\ +\ i_2\ l_2\ + \ i_3\ l_3 &\ i_1\ m_1\ + \ i_2\ m_2\ + \ i_3\ m_3 & \ i_1\ n_1\ +\ i_2\ n_2\ + \ i_3\ n_3\\

\ j_1\ l_1\ +\ j_2\ l_2\ + \ j_3\ l_3 &\ j_1\ m_1\ + \ j_2\ m_2\ + \ j_3\ m_3 &\ j_1\ n_1\ +\ j_2\ n_2\ + \ j_3\ n_3\\

\ k_1\ l_1\ +\ k_2\ l_2\ + \ k_3\ l_3 &\ k_1\ m_1\ + \ k_2\ m_2\ + \ k_3\ m_3 & \ k_1\ n_1\ +\ k_2\ n_2\ + \ k_3\ n_3

\end{vmatrix}

=\begin{vmatrix}
\ i\cdot\ l &\ i\cdot\ m & \ i\cdot\ n\\
\ j\cdot\ l &\ j\cdot\ m & \ j\cdot\ n\\
\ k\cdot\ l &\ k\cdot\ m & \ k\cdot\ n
\end{vmatrix}

=\begin{vmatrix}
\ e_i\cdot\ e_l &\ e_i\cdot\ e_m & \ e_i\cdot\ e_n\\
\ e_j\cdot\ e_l &\ e_j\cdot\ e_m & \ e_j\cdot\ e_n\\
\ e_k\cdot\ e_l &\ e_k\cdot\ e_m & \ e_k\cdot\ e_n
\end{vmatrix}

=\begin{vmatrix}
\ g_{il} &\ g_{im} & \ g_{in}\\
\ g_{jl} &\ g_{jm} & \ g_{jn}\\
\ g_{kl} &\ g_{km} & \ g_{kn}
\end{vmatrix}

=det[g]

[/tex]

Can the moderators please fix the Latex?

Related to Is this tensor identity correct?

1. What is a tensor identity?

A tensor identity is a mathematical expression that equates two tensor quantities in terms of their components. It is a fundamental concept in tensor calculus and is used to describe the relationships between tensors in various mathematical and physical systems.

2. How do you determine if a tensor identity is correct?

To determine if a tensor identity is correct, you can use various mathematical techniques such as substitution, manipulation, and comparison with known identities. You can also verify the identity through experimental or numerical methods.

3. Can a tensor identity be proven?

Yes, a tensor identity can be proven through mathematical proofs that use the axioms and rules of tensor calculus. However, some identities may be difficult to prove and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

4. Why are tensor identities important in science?

Tensor identities are important in science because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and describing the relationships between tensors in various physical and mathematical systems. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Are there different types of tensor identities?

Yes, there are different types of tensor identities depending on the type of tensors involved and the operations used. Some common types include vector identities, matrix identities, and differential identities. Each type has its own set of rules and properties that govern its use.