Riemann tensor given the space/metric

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on calculating the Riemann tensor for two given spaces described by a metric. The first space is stated to be flat and the second space has nonzero curvature. However, the metric tensor is not of the given form, which leads to difficulties in computing the B's. The book suggests using alternative methods, such as finding the geodesic equation and deriving the Riemann tensor through the Christoffel symbol. Another method suggested is computing the components of ##R^{a}{}_{bcd}## in an orthonormal frame using the connection one-forms and Cartan's structure equations.
Whitehole

Homework Statement

Given two spaces described by
##ds^2 = (1+u^2)du^2 + (1+4v^2)dv^2 + 2(2v-u)dudv##
##ds^2 = (1+u^2)du^2 + (1+2v^2)dv^2 + 2(2v-u)dudv##

Calculate the Riemann tensor

Homework Equations

Given the metric and expanding it ##~~~g_{τμ} = η_{τμ} + B_{τμ,λσ}x^λx^σ + ...##
We have the Riemann tensor, ##R_{τρμν} = B_{τν,ρμ} + B_{ρμ,τν} - B_{ρν,τμ} - B_{τμ,ρν}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having problems calculating the B's for the above spaces.
There is also one space given by ##ds^2 = (1+(ax+cy)^2)dx^2 + (1+(by+cx)^2)dy^2 + 2(ax+cy)(by+cx)dxdy## where I know how to compute the B's. Since in 2D, the Riemann tensor has only one component, that is ##R_{1212}##. For ##g_{11}## we have ##B_{1122} = c^2##, for ##g_{22}## we have ##B_{2211} = c^2##, for ##g_{12} = g_{21}## we have ##B_{1212} = ½(ab + c^2)##

For the above spaces, it seems every B is 0. I can't seem to understand why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your metric tensor is not of the given form, the off diagonal components are linear and not quadratic in the coordinates.

Orodruin said:
Your metric tensor is not of the given form, the off diagonal components are linear and not quadratic in the coordinates.
Yes, that is why I'm wondering. The book stated that the first space is flat and the second space has a nonzero curvature.

Whitehole said:
Yes, that is why I'm wondering. The book stated that the first space is flat and the second space has a nonzero curvature.
This just means you have to find you curvature tensor through other means, not that it is impossible to compute it.

Orodruin said:
This just means you have to find you curvature tensor through other means, not that it is impossible to compute it.
I tried finding the geodesic equation and read off the Christoffel symbol then derive the Riemann tensor through the Christoffel symbol. It worked but it's insanely long, that is why I'm thinking of another way to do it.

In a 2 dimensional (semi)-Riemannian manifold there is only ##\mathbf{one}## linearly independent component of the Riemann tensor (I think in Wald's General Relativity there's a proof of this). That should make it easier (##\simeq## shorter)!

lautaaf said:
In a 2 dimensional (semi)-Riemannian manifold there is only ##\mathbf{one}## linearly independent component of the Riemann tensor (I think in Wald's General Relativity there's a proof of this). That should make it easier (##\simeq## shorter)!
Yes I already stated that in my first post. My question is the method that I've done in post#1 is not working but I've done it in another way (post#5). Maybe there is another way.

Whitehole said:
Yes I already stated that in my first post. My question is the method that I've done in post#1 is not working but I've done it in another way (post#5). Maybe there is another way.

Oh, sorry, it seems i missed that.
You can also compute the components of ##R^{a}{}_{bcd}## in a orthonormal frame, via the connection one-forms and Cartan's structure equations.

Related to Riemann tensor given the space/metric

1. What is the Riemann tensor?

The Riemann tensor is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of a space. It is used in the field of differential geometry to study the properties of curved spaces.

2. How is the Riemann tensor calculated?

The Riemann tensor is calculated using the metric tensor, which defines the geometry of a space. It involves taking multiple derivatives of the metric tensor and plugging them into a specific formula.

3. What does the Riemann tensor tell us about a space?

The Riemann tensor tells us about the curvature of a space. Specifically, it describes how much a space is curved at a given point and in a given direction. This allows us to understand the overall structure and geometry of a space.

4. How is the Riemann tensor used in physics?

The Riemann tensor is used in physics, particularly in the field of general relativity, to describe the gravitational field. It helps us understand how matter and energy interact with the curvature of space-time.

5. Can the Riemann tensor be zero?

Yes, the Riemann tensor can be zero in flat spaces, where there is no curvature. However, in curved spaces, the Riemann tensor will not be zero and will provide important information about the geometry of the space.