Is this series convergent or divergent?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the divergence of the series sigma[n=0,inf] ((-1)^n n)/(n+1). Different tests, such as the alternating series test and the root test, are attempted but are inconclusive. The expert suggests using the divergence test by showing that lim n->inf ((-1)^n n)/(n+1) does not equal 0. This is because the term (-1)^n causes the sign of the terms to alternate, and the limit of the sequence does not exist. This is proven by comparing the sequence to (-1)^n and 1/n, which have different behaviors near infinity.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Prove that

sigma[n=0,inf] ((-1)^n n)/(n+1)
diverges

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure how to do this

I tried applying the alternating sereis test but when I did so I got
(n/(n+1))' = 1/(n+1)^2
so I can't say that the terms are non increasing and so the conditions are not meant for the alternating series test

I tried applying the root test and got an infinite loop of l hospital's rule (or however it's spelled) because of the square root so I couldn't come up with a conclusion based on that

I tried applying the ratio test and got r = 1 so the test was inconclusive

I don't know how to integrate something like ((-1)^n n)/(n+1)
so I concluded that the integral test was not going to work

Can I just simply say by the divergence test
lim n->inf ((-1)^n n)/(n+1) =/= 0
I'm having a hard time justifying that this is a true statement though...

I'm not experienced with applying comparison tests to alternating series...
thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
Can I just simply say by the divergence test
lim n->inf ((-1)^n n)/(n+1) =/= 0
I'm having a hard time justifying that this is a true statement though...
Yes, that's the simplest argument for why the series doesn't converge. Why are you having a hard time justifying the statement?

Well I'm just having a hard time stating why it's true, I thought maybe because the term (-1)^n is undefined so the limit does not equal zero, but it just seems very vague so I'm having a hard time just like proving it.

That term just causes the sign of the terms to alternate. It's not the reason why the series won't converge. For example, the alternating harmonic series [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex] converges even though it contains that factor.

What's happening to the values of the sequence[tex]a_n = (-1)^n \frac{n}{n+1}[/tex] as n gets large? How does it behave differently than the terms in the alternating harmonic series?

the lim n->inf n/(n+1) = 1
while lim n-> inf 1/n approaches zero...

so I can say that the series diverges because (-1)^n n/(n+1) near n = infinity alternates between two values 1 and -1 (two different values) so the limit does not equal zero

and lim 1/n approaches zero from both sides as n goes to infinity (the same value) so it converges

is that the idea behind it?

Yes. The limit doesn't exist for the first sequence, so it obviously can't equal 0. Therefore, the series won't converge.

For the second series, the limit of the sequence does exist and equals 0, so the series may converge. (You'd still have to prove it converges by another method if you were trying to answer that question.)

Hm interesting thanks

Related to Is this series convergent or divergent?

1. What is an infinite series in Calculus II?

An infinite series in Calculus II is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is represented by the notation Σ (sigma) and is used to find the sum of a sequence of numbers that follow a specific pattern.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent series?

A convergent series is one in which the sum of the terms approaches a finite number as the number of terms increases. A divergent series is one in which the sum of the terms either approaches infinity or does not approach a finite number as the number of terms increases.

3. How do you test for convergence or divergence of an infinite series?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series, including the integral test, ratio test, and comparison test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of a sequence or comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series.

4. What is the purpose of the alternating series test?

The alternating series test is a special case of the convergence test, used specifically for alternating series where the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative. It states that if the absolute value of the terms decreases and approaches 0 as the number of terms increases, then the series is convergent.

5. Can an infinite series have more than one sum?

No, an infinite series can only have one sum. If a series has more than one sum, it is considered divergent and does not have a well-defined value. This is known as the divergence test, which states that if the terms of a series do not approach 0 as the number of terms increases, then the series is divergent.