Is this proof for convergence of 3^n/n rigorous enough?

In summary, the person is seeking guidance on their solution to a problem involving the convergence of 3^n/n! and seeking advice on how to prove it in a more rigorous way. They suggest using induction to prove that 3^n < 3*(n-1)! for all n >= 8.
Katrique
Hi,

I am trying to self study analysis and was practicing some problems. I wasn't sure if this solution to one of the problems I came across was rigorous enough.

Basically, by writing down the first few terms of 3^n and n!, I figured I can say 3^n < 3*(n-1)! for all n>=13...without actually calculating the numerical values.

so (3^n/n!)<3/n for n>=13. Therefore, for any ε we can can find N>13 and N>3/ε. And therefore the term 3^n/n! converges to 0. Is this a right solution? Is it rigorous enough? Could you advise me of a better way to prove this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Katrique said:
Hi,

I am trying to self study analysis and was practicing some problems. I wasn't sure if this solution to one of the problems I came across was rigorous enough.

Basically, by writing down the first few terms of 3^n and n!, I figured I can say 3^n < 3*(n-1)! for all n>=13...without actually calculating the numerical values.

so (3^n/n!)<3/n for n>=13. Therefore, for any ε we can can find N>13 and N>3/ε. And therefore the term 3^n/n! converges to 0. Is this a right solution? Is it rigorous enough? Could you advise me of a better way to prove this?

Thanks.

You can prove it by induction. First, you can establish it is true for n = 8. So assuming it is true for n = k >= 8, prove it is also true for n = k+1. (This is EASY.) Thus, it is true for all n ≥ 8.

RGV

I assume, you mean, to prove that 3^n<3(n-1)! for all n>=8. I guess that makes sense..Thanks.

Related to Is this proof for convergence of 3^n/n rigorous enough?

1. What is the proof for convergence of 3^n/n?

The proof for convergence of 3^n/n is a mathematical demonstration that shows the limit of the sequence 3^n/n approaches zero as n approaches infinity. This means that as n gets larger and larger, the value of 3^n/n gets closer and closer to zero.

2. How is this proof rigorous enough?

This proof is rigorous enough because it follows the rules and principles of mathematical reasoning, and provides logical and deductive steps that lead to a conclusive result. It also considers all possible cases and provides evidence to support the argument.

3. What are the key components of this proof?

The key components of this proof include the definition of a convergent sequence, the use of algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression 3^n/n, and the application of the limit laws to evaluate the limit as n approaches infinity. It also involves the use of mathematical induction to prove the result for all natural numbers.

4. Are there any limitations to this proof?

Yes, there are limitations to this proof. It only applies to the specific sequence 3^n/n and may not be applicable to other sequences. It also assumes the basic rules of algebra and the limit laws hold true, which may not always be the case.

5. Can this proof be improved upon?

It is possible for this proof to be improved upon by incorporating more advanced mathematical techniques or by providing a more detailed and rigorous explanation of each step. However, as it stands, this proof is considered valid and sufficient in demonstrating the convergence of 3^n/n.