Is this inverse function continuity proof consistent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the continuity and increasing properties of a function f in a closed interval. The inverse function f^-1 is also shown to be continuous and increasing in the interval [f(a), f(b)]. The proof for the continuity of f^-1 is partially shown, and the conversation goes on to discuss how to prove its continuity at f(a) and f(b). The definition of unilateral limit to the right is used, and the proof shows that for every small ε > 0, there is a δ > 0 such that |f^-1(y) - a| < ε whenever 0 < y - f(a) < δ. The proof is then completed by showing that f^-1 is an increasing function.
pc2-brazil
I am self-studying Calculus and tried to solve the following question:

Homework Statement

Suppose that the function f is continuous and increasing in the closed interval [a, b]. Then
(i) f has an inverse f-1, which is defined in [f(a), f(b)];
(ii) f-1 is increasing in [f(a), f(b)];
(iii) f-1 is continuous in [f(a), f(b)].
The book does the proofs for (i) and (ii). It then proofs (iii) partially by showing that f is continuous in the open interval (a,b).
I must then show that f-1 is continuous in f(a) to the right and continuous in f(b) to the left.

Homework Equations

Definition of unilateral limit to the right:
[tex]\lim_{x\to a^+} f(x) = L[/tex]
if and only if, for every small ε > 0, there is a δ > 0 such that
|f(x) - L| < ε whenever 0 < x - a < δ

The Attempt at a Solution

I will try to do here the proof that f-1 is continuous in f(a) to the right.
Applying the definition of unilateral limit to the right, I must then show that, for every small ε > 0, there is a δ > 0 such that
|f-1(y) - a| < ε whenever 0 < y - f(a) < δ

I begin by defining ε such that a + ε belongs to [f(a), f(b)].
Since a < a + ε, then, since f is increasing:
[tex]f(a) < f(a+\epsilon)[/tex]
Now, since the choice of δ depends upon the choice of ε, I choose δ such that:
[tex]\delta \leq f(a+\epsilon) - f(a)[/tex]
[tex]f(a)+\delta \leq f(a+\epsilon)[/tex]
Now, from the definition of the limit above, I know that:
[tex]0 < y - f(a) < \delta[/tex]
Summing f(a) to every term:
[tex]f(a) < y < f(a) + \delta[/tex]
So, combining this with the δ chosen above:
[tex]f(a) < y < f(a) + \delta \leq f(a+\epsilon)[/tex]
Since f and f-1 are both increasing:
[tex]f^{-1}(f(a)) < f^{-1}(y) < f^{-1}(f(a+\epsilon))[/tex]
[tex]a < f^{-1}(y) < a+\epsilon[/tex]
Subtracting a from every term:
[itex]0 < f^{-1}(y) - a < \epsilon[/itex] whenever [itex]0 < y - f(a) < \delta[/itex]
which appears to be the desired result, except for the lack of absolute value. I imagine the absolute value didn't appear here because [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is an increasing function.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks ok to me!

And indeed, you don't need that absolute value in the end because the function is monotone.

Related to Is this inverse function continuity proof consistent?

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the action of another function. It is essentially the opposite of the original function, and when both functions are applied to a value, they cancel each other out and result in the original input value.

2. What is continuity?

Continuity refers to the property of a function where there are no breaks or gaps in its graph. In other words, a function is continuous if its graph can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

3. How do you prove that an inverse function is continuous?

To prove that an inverse function is continuous, you need to show that the inverse of the original function exists, and that it is also continuous. This can be done by using the definition of continuity, which states that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

4. Can an inverse function be discontinuous?

Yes, an inverse function can be discontinuous. Just like any other function, an inverse function can have points of discontinuity where there is a break or gap in its graph. However, if the inverse function is continuous, it means the original function is also continuous.

5. Why is it important to prove the continuity of an inverse function?

Proving the continuity of an inverse function is important because it ensures that the inverse function is a valid function that can be used to undo the action of the original function. It also confirms that the original function is continuous, which is a desirable property in many mathematical and scientific applications.