Is this Fourier Series exam question solved correctly?

In summary, the conversation is about a question on Fourier Series that Ian encountered while revising for his exams. He shares his solution and asks for confirmation or any errors from others. The responder reviews Ian's solution and confirms that it is correct, with a small correction for one coefficient. The responder also encourages Ian to continue his hard work.
iandelaney

Homework Statement

Hi - as part of my revision I have been looking at previous exam papers and came across this question on Fourier Series. I have scanned the question in as well as my attempt at a solution. I am hoping that my solution is correct, but if anyone can find an error in it or confirm that I have gone about this question the right way then that would be great :-) Ian

Homework Equations

See Scan Below

The Attempt at a Solution

See Scan below

Attachments

• Fourier Series EQ.jpg
    Fourier Series EQ.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Ian,

After reviewing your solution, I can confirm that you have gone about this question correctly. Your approach to finding the Fourier series coefficients using the given equations is accurate and your final answer matches with the solution provided in the exam paper. Great job on your revision and best of luck with your exams!

Just a small note, in your final answer for the Fourier series, the coefficient for cos(3x) should be 3/2 instead of 2/3. Other than that, your solution is spot on. Keep up the good work!

Related to Is this Fourier Series exam question solved correctly?

1. What is a Fourier Series Exam Question?

A Fourier Series Exam Question is a question that involves applying the principles of Fourier series to solve a mathematical problem. It typically requires knowledge of trigonometric functions, series expansions, and complex numbers.

2. How do you approach solving a Fourier Series Exam Question?

To solve a Fourier Series Exam Question, you will first need to understand the concept of Fourier series and how it relates to the given problem. Next, you will need to apply the appropriate formulas and techniques to find the coefficients and determine the final solution.

3. What are the key components of a Fourier Series Exam Question?

The key components of a Fourier Series Exam Question include a periodic function, a given interval, and a desired number of terms in the series. It may also include additional instructions such as finding the Fourier coefficients or evaluating the series at a specific point.

4. What are some common challenges when solving a Fourier Series Exam Question?

Some common challenges when solving a Fourier Series Exam Question include identifying the appropriate interval and determining the correct number of terms to use in the series. It may also be challenging to manipulate complex expressions and apply the necessary trigonometric identities.

5. How can practicing Fourier Series Exam Questions improve my understanding of the concept?

Practicing Fourier Series Exam Questions can help you become more familiar with the concept and its application. By solving a variety of problems, you can develop a better understanding of the formulas and techniques used, as well as identify common mistakes and improve your problem-solving skills.