Is This Example Correctly Solved Using Logarithmic Differentiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving logarithmic differentiation and whether the solution is correct or not. The original problem is y = (2-x)^(sqrt x) and the conversation includes a link to reduce confusion. The solution is provided using logarithmic differentiation and it is deemed correct by both the person asking the question and another member of the conversation. The conversation also briefly mentions potential concerns about the domain and range of the solution.
surferbarney0729
Something about this worked problem looks off. Is this example correctly solved using logarithmic differentiation?

The original problem is y = (2-x)^(sqrt x). If anyone who is rather confident with this could double check this example it would really help me out. Thanks. I attached the link to reduce my typing confusion.

http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/3/logdiff.1/a1.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
swoodward said:
Something about this worked problem looks off. Is this example correctly solved using logarithmic differentiation?

The original problem is y = (2-x)^(sqrt x). If anyone who is rather confident with this could double check this example it would really help me out. Thanks. I attached the link to reduce my typing confusion.

Here's the image:
attachment.php?attachmentid=49243&stc=1&d=1342914228.gif

What is it that looks off to you?

Attachments

• a1.gif
    a1.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 518
I can not pinpoint anything. I am aware of the steps of the log diff for other examples on this weeks homework. Prof through it out to the class that this looks off. I can't see it. Should I look deeper?

Looks perfectly fine to me.

Provided you understand the product rule, the chain rule, and the fact that ln(a^b) = b.ln(a), there isn't really anything mysterious here at all.

ok thanks. Perhaps it was thrown out to check our grasp of your aforementioned rules. Thanks for the time.

I threw this out last night, but it is still getting some pushback.

How does this look? Right or a little off? I placed the problem and solution link since I can not figure out how to import the image.

http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual...gdiff.1/a1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I get when trying to look at the image:
The requested URL /visual...gdiff.1/a1.gif was not found on this server.

Does this work,

The original problem is...

y = (2-x)^sqrt(x)

And you want the derivative?

yes, using logarithmic differentiation solve the problem.

In general, when you have something like [tex]f(x)^{g(x)}[/tex] you can find the derivative like this, which should give you what you need to solve your specific problem where log is the natural logarithm:

[tex]y=f(x)^{g(x)}[/tex]
[tex]\log{y}=g(x)\log{f(x)}[/tex]
Implicitly differentiate both sides:
[tex]\frac{dy}{y}=g'(x)\log{f(x)}dx+\frac{g(x)f'(x)}{f(x)}dx[/tex]
[tex]y'=y\left(g'(x)\log{f(x)}+\frac{g(x)f'(x)}{f(x)} \right)[/tex]
[tex]y'=f(x)^{g(x)}\left(g'(x)\log{f(x)}+\frac{g(x)f'(x)}{f(x)}\right)[/tex]

swoodward said:
yes, using logarithmic differentiation solve the problem.

It looks fine.

DonAntonio

Your efforts to spread this question to a larger audience have obviously been quashed, as it looks like it's been merged into your original thread!
swoodward said:
I threw this out last night, but it is still getting some pushback.
What exactly do you mean by "some pushback"? Has your Prof said something? If so, what? Is he/she worried about the domain/range not being real etc?

Even the God Almighty that is Woolfy-Alfa agrees that this is the correct solution.

Last edited:

Related to Is This Example Correctly Solved Using Logarithmic Differentiation?

1. What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a method used to differentiate functions that are in the form of a product, quotient, or power, where the base of the logarithm is the variable. It involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation and then using the properties of logarithms to simplify the expression and make it easier to differentiate.

2. When is logarithmic differentiation used?

Logarithmic differentiation is typically used when the function to be differentiated is complicated or involves variables in both the base and the exponent. It is also used when the function is in the form of a product, quotient, or power, as mentioned above.

3. What are the steps for performing logarithmic differentiation?

The steps for performing logarithmic differentiation are as follows:

1. Take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation.
  2. Use the properties of logarithms to simplify the expression.
  3. Take the derivative of both sides using the rules of differentiation.
  4. Isolate the variable you are solving for on one side of the equation.
  5. Solve for the variable by raising e to the power of both sides of the equation.

4. What are the advantages of using logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation can simplify complicated functions and make them easier to differentiate. It is also useful for finding derivatives of functions involving variables in both the base and the exponent. Additionally, it can be used to find derivatives of products, quotients, and powers.

5. Are there any limitations to using logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is not always the most efficient method for finding derivatives, as it involves several steps and can be time-consuming. It is also important to note that logarithmic differentiation can only be used for functions where the base of the logarithm is the variable. If the function does not have this form, another method of differentiation may be more appropriate.