Is this course rigorous enough?

In summary, according to the person, some people think that a university near by is not as good at mathematics. They have looked online and found a sample of past papers from courses that they are interested in. They are concerned about paying a lot to attend the university and want to make sure that they are getting a good education.
converting1
Well, to keep it short I'm thinking about going to a university near by. However after reading around on the internet it seems as though some think it's not so good at maths (which is what I'll be going to study.)

I've looked online and found a sample of their past papers in the following courses:

Real analysis
Complex analysis
Applied maths (called mathematical methods 4?)
Algebraic number theory
Geometry and topology
Riemann Surfaces and Algebraic Curves
Groups and Rings

Now, if someone has the time - could you please send me a pm/post here and I'll send you the pdfs of the past papers so you can comment if it's "rigorous" enough, or if up to some standards.

The reason I'm asking is because I'll be paying a lot to go the university and I really want to get the best possible education for my money, and hence don't want to go somewhere who have an easy course.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm quite sure that every university will cover the general topics of each of those subjects and beyond that it would be subjective to the professor. It's an undergraduate math class; the gauge of whether a math department is "good" or not has to do with what kind of research is being produced from it and whether the professors in it are competent in their ability to relay theorems/definitions/examples to you... In sum, it's just undergrad and you're probably overthinking.

Whether something is rigorous enough depends on you. If you only depend on the math department and your classes for your education, then you might end up with too little knowledge (depending on the university). It is important for you to take education into your own hands and study extra outside the class.

For example, my undergrad mathematics was pretty good. But some people nevertheless went beyond what they saw in the courses. Those are exactly the people who excelled in the classes and went on to a PhD program.

micromass said:
Whether something is rigorous enough depends on you. If you only depend on the math department and your classes for your education, then you might end up with too little knowledge (depending on the university). It is important for you to take education into your own hands and study extra outside the class.

For example, my undergrad mathematics was pretty good. But some people nevertheless went beyond what they saw in the courses. Those are exactly the people who excelled in the classes and went on to a PhD program.

I thought you were in high school micromass. lol

I understand your concern about the rigor of the course you are considering. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics for any scientific field, so it is understandable that you want to ensure that the university you choose will provide you with the best education possible.

Based on your research, it seems that the university may have some concerns about its math program. However, it is difficult to determine the rigor of a course simply by looking at past papers. It would be more helpful to speak with current students or professors in the math department to get a better understanding of the curriculum and teaching methods.

Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that the level of rigor in a course can vary from year to year and even from professor to professor. It is always a good idea to challenge yourself and seek out additional resources or opportunities for learning, regardless of the perceived rigor of the course.

Ultimately, the best way to ensure that you receive a rigorous education is to put in the effort and dedication to your studies. Take advantage of any resources or support available to you, and don't be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification from your professors. With hard work and determination, you can excel in any course, regardless of its perceived level of rigor.

Related to Is this course rigorous enough?

1. What does it mean for a course to be "rigorous"?

A course is considered to be rigorous if it challenges students to think critically, apply knowledge, and develop advanced skills in a particular subject area. It should require a significant amount of effort and dedication from students to successfully complete the course.

2. How do I determine if a course is rigorous enough for my academic or career goals?

To determine if a course is rigorous enough for your goals, you should research the course syllabus, learning objectives, and past student reviews. You can also speak with the course instructor or academic advisor to get a better understanding of the course expectations and if it aligns with your goals.

3. What factors contribute to a course being considered rigorous?

There are various factors that contribute to a course being considered rigorous, such as the depth and breadth of the course material, the level of critical thinking required, the amount of independent work or research, and the difficulty of assignments and exams.

4. Can a course be too rigorous?

Yes, a course can be too rigorous for some students. It is important to assess your own abilities and workload capacity before enrolling in a course. A course that is too rigorous can lead to burnout, stress, and negatively impact your academic performance.

5. What can I do if I feel like a course is not rigorous enough?

If you feel like a course is not rigorous enough, you can speak with the course instructor to see if there are any additional resources or assignments that can challenge you further. You can also supplement your learning by doing additional research and seeking out opportunities for independent study or practical application of the course material.