Is This Calculation of ∂z/∂x Correct for the Given Function?

I'd send you a cookie if I could.In summary, the partial derivative of z with respect to x is (5+yzsin(xz)-4y+6z^2x^2)/(-yxsin(xz)-4zx^3). This was found by rearranging and factoring the given equation, ycos(xz)+(4xy)-2z^2x^3=5x, and solving for ∂z/∂x.
njo

Homework Statement

∂z/∂x of ycos(xz)+(4xy)-2z^2x^3=5x[/B]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

∂z/∂x=(5+yz-4y+6z^2x^2)/(-yxsin(xz)-4zx^3)[/B]

Is this correct? Just trying to make sure that's the correct answer. I appreciate the help. I can post my work if need be. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Close, but check your work. There is at least a sine term missing in the numerator. Better yet, show your work.

-y*sin(xz)*(z+x(∂z/∂x))+4y-4zx^3(∂z/∂x)-6z^2x^2 = 5

This is what I have before rearranging and factoring for ∂z/∂x

njo said:
-y*sin(xz)*(z+x(∂z/∂x))+4y-4zx^3(∂z/∂x)-6z^2x^2 = 5

This is what I have before rearranging and factoring for ∂z/∂x

That looks good. If you carefully do the algebra solving for ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}## you should be OK.

(5+yzsin(xz)-4y+6z^2x^2)/(-yxsin(xz)-4zx^3) = ∂z/∂x

Pretty sure this is right. Just messed up on my algebra. Thank you so much. The internet is great.

Related to Is This Calculation of ∂z/∂x Correct for the Given Function?

1. What is an implicit partial derivative?

An implicit partial derivative is a type of derivative used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is used when the function is defined implicitly, meaning it is not explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variables.

2. How is an implicit partial derivative calculated?

To calculate an implicit partial derivative, the chain rule is used. This involves taking the derivative of each term in the function with respect to the variable in question, and then combining them using the chain rule formula.

3. What is the difference between an implicit partial derivative and an explicit partial derivative?

The main difference between an implicit partial derivative and an explicit partial derivative is that an implicit partial derivative is used when the function is defined implicitly, while an explicit partial derivative is used when the function is defined explicitly in terms of the independent variables.

4. Why are implicit partial derivatives important in science?

Implicit partial derivatives are important in science because they allow us to understand the relationship between variables in a more complex function. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and model systems with multiple variables.

5. Can implicit partial derivatives be visualized?

Yes, implicit partial derivatives can be visualized using contour plots. These plots show how the function changes as one variable changes while holding the other variables constant. The slope of the contour lines at a specific point represents the value of the implicit partial derivative at that point.