Is This Baby Mammoth the Best Preserved Specimen Yet?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, a well-preserved baby mammoth has been discovered in north-west Siberia and will be sent to Japan for further study. The carcass is believed to be the best preserved specimen of its kind, with intact trunk, eyes, and fur. Scientists are able to extract DNA from the frozen carcass, even though the cells are no longer alive. This discovery may have implications for understanding the climate of the time.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Since previous articles on Mammoths were posted here due to the DNA/cloning issue I thought I'd put it here (see even mentors aren't always sure where to put things).

I thought this was very cool. This might give us a good DNA sample.

Baby mammoth discovery unveiled

A baby mammoth unearthed in the permafrost of north-west Siberia could be the best preserved specimen of its type, scientists have said.

The frozen carcass is to be sent to Japan for detailed study.

The six-month-old female calf was discovered on the Yamal peninsula of Russia and is thought to have died 10,000 years ago.

The animal's trunk and eyes are still intact and some of its fur remains on the body.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6284214.stm

Biology news on Phys.org
if someone can answer this please do,
How on Earth do scientists get DNA from the frozen carcass, wouldn't all the cells in the body have died by now?

tommy-gunn said:
if someone can answer this please do,
How on Earth do scientists get DNA from the frozen carcass, wouldn't all the cells in the body have died by now?

A cell doesn't need to be alive to extract DNA. The DNA just needs to be intact and decently preserved. Even if it was partially degraded, I would assume you could still do a shotgun assembly to rebuild and retrieve the original sequence.

Evo said:
Since previous articles on Mammoths were posted here due to the DNA/cloning issue I thought I'd put it here (see even mentors aren't always sure where to put things).

I thought this was very cool. This might give us a good DNA sample.

Baby mammoth discovery unveiled

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6284214.stm

This was quite the discovery!

It fits with the Biology forum but it will also have implications (according to the article) to do with the climate of that period. Really quite the "perfect specimen". Poor little mammoth. Don't they need a consent form signed by the baby or the mother to collect DNA? This may infer the wrath of the Ghost Mammoths. They never forget.:eek:

Thats is really something special. Even at 100,000 yrs old, its still cute too!

Related to Is This Baby Mammoth the Best Preserved Specimen Yet?

1. What is the significance of the discovery of a baby mammoth?

The discovery of a baby mammoth is significant because it provides valuable insight into the life and behavior of these extinct creatures. It also helps scientists understand their environment and the conditions that led to their extinction.

2. How was the baby mammoth preserved?

The baby mammoth was most likely preserved through a process called mummification, where the body was quickly frozen and then covered in layers of snow and ice. This prevented decomposition and allowed the body to remain intact for thousands of years.

3. What can we learn from the baby mammoth's DNA?

The baby mammoth's DNA can provide valuable information about its genetic makeup, which can help scientists understand its physical characteristics and how it differs from other mammoths. It can also provide information about its diet and potential health issues.

4. What challenges were faced in recovering the baby mammoth's remains?

Recovering the baby mammoth's remains was a difficult and delicate process. The frozen tundra where it was found made it challenging to access and extract the body without causing damage. Additionally, the body was fragile and could easily break apart if not handled properly.

5. Are there any other significant discoveries that have been made in the same area?

Yes, there have been other significant discoveries made in the same area where the baby mammoth was found, including other well-preserved mammoth remains, as well as fossils of other extinct animals such as woolly rhinos and cave lions. These discoveries have greatly contributed to our understanding of the Pleistocene era and the creatures that lived during that time.