Is this a differential equation?

In summary, a differential equation contains both the function and its derivative. This is demonstrated by the example y'=3x2, where y is the anti-derivative of 3x2. However, it is important to note that the derivative must appear explicitly in the equation, while the function itself does not have to be explicitly included.
johann1301
My textbook says that:

"A differential equation contains both the function and the derivative of the function"

and at the same time claims that y'=3x2 is a differential equation.

How can this be? The original function isn't part of the equation in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is. y'=3x2 is the same as y'+0y=3x2 (the coefficient of y is zero) and also the same as:
xy'=3y

But I think you need to take the textbook a little less seriously.
What they mean is that if g(x)=f(x,y,y',y''...) then g is a DE.
As you learn more the definition will get expanded to include more cases.

Likes 1 person
It is a particularly easy differential equation- y is simply the anti-derivative of [tex]3x^2[/tex]. I would say the statement "A differential equation contains both the function and the derivative of the function" is at best misleading. The derivative of the function must appear explicitly in the equation. The function itself does not have to be explicitly in the equation.

Likes 1 person
Thanks!

Yes, y'=3x^2 is indeed a differential equation. This may seem confusing at first, but let me explain. A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivative(s). In this case, the function is y, and its derivative is y'. So, the equation y'=3x^2 is saying that the derivative of y is equal to 3x^2. This means that y is the function whose derivative is 3x^2. In other words, y is the solution to this differential equation. So, while the original function y may not be explicitly written in the equation, it is still an important part of the overall problem and solution.

Related to Is this a differential equation?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the derivatives of a function. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives.

2. How do I recognize a differential equation?

A differential equation will typically contain variables, constants, and derivatives of a function. It may also have an equal sign and may be written in a specific format, such as dy/dx = f(x).

3. What are some applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze dynamic systems. They are particularly useful in physics, economics, biology, and engineering.

4. What is the difference between an ordinary and partial differential equation?

Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve more than one independent variable. Additionally, the derivatives in a partial differential equation can be partial derivatives, while they are all ordinary derivatives in an ordinary differential equation.

5. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some can be solved analytically by finding an exact solution, while others may require numerical methods or approximation techniques. It is important to understand the properties and characteristics of a differential equation before attempting to solve it.