Is this a compound angle? What's the geometric meaning?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving β, ψ, and k, where β represents vehicle sideslip and ψ represents the angle between the trajectory tangent and vehicle forward vector. The equation is rewritten as Vx * k * (cos ψ - tan β * sin ψ) and can be further simplified as Vx * k * (cos (ψ + β) / cos β). The speaker is struggling to understand the geometric meaning of the equation and is seeking clarification.
xXNightEagleXx
?temp_hash=e0c002ddf2ed5251e477e5a6190da5df.jpg

β is vehicle sideslip (angle between velocity and vehicle forward vector) ψ the angle between the trajectory tangent and vehicle forward vector. I have this equation that says

Vx * k * (cos ψ - tan β * sin ψ)

where k is trajectory curvature (1 / r) at point p.

Now i must say that I'm not proficient with compound angles at all, so I'm struggling to understand if everything inside the parenthesis is basically a compound angle. Moreover I'm struggling to visualize its geometric meaning.

Can anyone try to help me out with this one?

(I believe that k just acts as a multiplier according to the curvature so it's not the problem itself)

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• ?temp_hash=e0c002ddf2ed5251e477e5a6190da5df.jpg
    ?temp_hash=e0c002ddf2ed5251e477e5a6190da5df.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 902
Mathematics news on Phys.org
xXNightEagleXx said:
I have this equation that says
Vx * k * (cos ψ - tan β * sin ψ)
That's not an equation that says anything because there are no two sides with an "equals" sign between them. Setting that aside, you can rewrite the expression as
$$V_xk\frac{\cos (\psi+\beta)}{\cos \beta}$$
Does this answer your question?

Related to Is this a compound angle? What's the geometric meaning?

1. What is a compound angle?

A compound angle is an angle that is formed by the combination of two or more simpler angles. It can be thought of as the sum or difference of two angles.

2. How do you determine if an angle is compound?

To determine if an angle is compound, you can look for two or more angles that have been combined using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, or division. Another way is to check if the angle can be broken down into simpler angles using trigonometric identities.

3. What is the geometric meaning of a compound angle?

The geometric meaning of a compound angle is that it represents the orientation or direction of an object or point in space. It can also represent the rotation or movement of an object.

4. Can a compound angle be represented by a single angle?

No, a compound angle cannot be represented by a single angle as it is a combination of two or more angles. However, it can be simplified or expressed in terms of a single angle using trigonometric identities.

5. How are compound angles used in real life?

Compound angles have various applications in real life, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. They are used to calculate the orientation and movement of objects, as well as to solve complex trigonometric problems.