Is thermal energy a renewable or non-renewable energy?

In summary: Solar energy could be considered renewable IMO, especially since all other renewable energy sources get their energy from the sun in some way. What other renewable energy sources can you think of (think about how the sun gives them some form of energy)?And whether heat produced from flames is renewable or not depends on how the flames were produced. Can you think of a way to make flames that depends on a renewable energy source?When it comes to efficiency, reading about the Carnot Cycle can give you a good understanding of how different technologies produce the most energy with the least amount of input. Check out how nuclear power plants work to see an example of an energy source that is not reliant on the sun.
max1020
im not talking about geothermal energy because my teacher gave us topics and mine is thermal energy and i did some research but i still don't get it if its renewable or nonrenewable because i got mixed answers when i researched about it.
and are there any advantages for this energy?
i think the advantages are
getting heat from the sun and electricity being produced by thermal energy but other than that i have no other idea for advantages! can someone please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it fits in either category.

Energies do not have advantages.
"Using X to do Y" can have advantages or disadvantages (compared to using Z for the same goal), but then you first have to find a way to use X for Y. This will also determine if the process is renewable.

so can i say its both depending on its cirumstance say why?
is thermal energy efficient? i googled this question but i kept on getting thermal energy efficiency which is different from what I am asking. can you please help me? my project is due tomorrow!

max1020 said:
is thermal energy efficient?
Is an apple efficient?
Efficient in what, compared to what?
my project is due tomorrow!
Then you clearly started too late.

oops i meant as is it an efficent energy? i thinks it effiecent for an energy but I am not sure if I am right

max1020 said:
im not talking about geothermal energy because my teacher gave us topics and mine is thermal energy and i did some research but i still don't get it if its renewable or nonrenewable because i got mixed answers when i researched about it.
i think the advantages are
getting heat from the sun and electricity being produced by thermal energy but other than that i have no other idea for advantages! can someone please help me

max1020 said:
so can i say its both depending on its cirumstance say why?
is thermal energy efficient? i googled this question but i kept on getting thermal energy efficiency which is different from what I am asking. can you please help me? my project is due tomorrow!

As already said, the question is very ambiguous. So the best approach IMO is to give examples of "thermal energy" situations where some are renewable and some are not.

So what are some examples of where thermal energy is used to produce electricity, and the source of that thermal energy *is not* renewable? I can think of several right away.

And what are some examples of where thermal energy is used to produce electricity, and the source of that thermal energy *is* renewable? Same thing, it's easy to think of several examples.

I think if you write your answer in that way, you should get good credit. You will have covered the correct answer either way, and you will have addressed the fact that the problem as presented to you was ambiguous.

Write up your answer(s), and post them here. We can critique them for you. :smile:

Likes 1 person
renewable- solar thermal energy,unlimited
non-renewable= heat from electric stoves, heater, flames these thermal energies cannot be replenished and are limited resources
examples of how it produces energy is through solar thermal, and heating up water that is later turned into electricty.
i think that thermal energy is an efficient energy because it produces a lot of energy through different ways since it is produced by heat

max1020 said:
renewable- solar thermal energy,unlimited
non-renewable= heat from electric stoves, heater, flames these thermal energies cannot be replenished and are limited resources
examples of how it produces energy is through solar thermal, and heating up water that is later turned into electricty.
i think that thermal energy is an efficient energy because it produces a lot of energy through different ways since it is produced by heat

That's closer, but needs more details and some corrections.

Solar energy could be considered renewable IMO, especially since all other renewable energy sources get their energy from the sun in some way. What other renewable energy sources can you think of (think about how the sun gives them some form of energy)?

And whether heat produced from flames is renewable or not depends on how the flames were produced. Can you think of a way to make flames that depends on a renewable energy source?

In terms of efficiency of using thermal energy to make electricity, do some reading about the "Carnot Cycle", and compare making electricity with boiling water versus with a hydroelectric dam...

berkeman posted a good reply. A small addition: check how nuclear power plants work.

Related to Is thermal energy a renewable or non-renewable energy?

1. Is thermal energy a renewable or non-renewable energy?

Thermal energy is a form of energy that is generated by heating a substance. Whether it is renewable or non-renewable depends on the source of the heat. If the heat source is renewable, such as solar energy, geothermal energy, or biomass, then thermal energy can be considered renewable. However, if the heat source is non-renewable, such as fossil fuels, then thermal energy is considered non-renewable.

2. What are some examples of renewable sources of thermal energy?

Renewable sources of thermal energy include solar energy, geothermal energy, and biomass. Solar energy is generated by using the sun's heat to heat water or other substances. Geothermal energy is generated by harnessing the heat from the Earth's core. Biomass is created from organic matter, such as wood, crops, or waste, and can be burned to produce heat.

3. How is thermal energy converted into other forms of energy?

Thermal energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electricity, through various processes. One common method is by using a heat engine, which uses the heat to create steam that can then power a turbine to generate electricity. Another way is through thermoelectric conversion, which directly converts heat into electricity using a thermoelectric generator.

4. Can thermal energy be stored for later use?

Thermal energy can be stored in a variety of ways, such as in water tanks or using phase change materials. These storage methods allow the thermal energy to be released and used at a later time when it is needed. This is especially useful for renewable sources of thermal energy, which may not be available all the time, such as solar energy.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using thermal energy as a renewable source of energy?

The main advantage of using thermal energy as a renewable source of energy is that it is abundant and can be harnessed from various sources. It is also relatively inexpensive to produce and does not produce greenhouse gas emissions. However, the disadvantage is that it is not always available and requires specific technologies to harness it. It also has the potential to cause environmental damage if not managed properly, such as geothermal drilling or biomass harvesting.