What Exactly is Thermal Energy?

In summary, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of molecules within a substance, while heat is the transfer of thermal energy between a system and its surroundings. Internal energy, on the other hand, is the total energy (kinetic + potential) of molecules in a substance. Thermal energy is believed to be the total kinetic energy of molecules within a substance, but there is some debate about whether it also includes potential energy. It is not clearly defined and can depend on the context of its use. Heat is sometimes considered the same as thermal energy, while other times it is considered the same as internal energy. It is also difficult to distinguish between work energy and thermal energy, as they can overlap in certain situations.
Nexu
Hey guys.

From my understanding,

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules within a substance.
Heat is the transfer of thermal energy between a system and its surroundings
Internal Energy is the total energy (kinetic + potential) of the molecules of a substance.

What is thermal energy?

Is thermal energy the total KINETIC energy of the molecules within a substance or the total KINETIC energy and POTENTIAL energy of the molecules within a substance? If it is the latter, isn't it the same as internal energy?

I have looked for this on the web but am getting mixed responses. Some say thermal energy is the same as heat whereas others say it is the same as internal energy.

From my knowledge of the topic, I believe that Thermal Energy is the total kinetic energy of the molecules within a substance, but am not 100% sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nexu said:
I believe that Thermal Energy is the total kinetic energy of the molecules within a substance, but am not 100% sure.
It's the non-work component of the kinetic energy. Not sure there's a precise definition. If you have a body moving en masse relative to your frame of reference, the coherent KE is work energy, not thermal energy. If the body is some piece of machinery in which components are moving relative to each other, those aspects of motion are also work energy. Chaotic motion of molecules relative to each other is thermal energy. But there's no clear dividing line - you could have clusters of molecules as nanoscale structures in relative motion.. is that work or thermal?
The theoretical solution may be to say that the thermal energy is the part that cannot be turned into useful mechanical energy by any means, but that implies that if the body is not at a uniform temperature then a part of what you might have thought of as thermal energy is work energy after all.
Btw, I'm not sure it's right to define heat as only a transfer of energy.

Related to What Exactly is Thermal Energy?

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that an object or system possesses due to its temperature. It is a form of kinetic energy, as it is associated with the movement of particles within a substance.

2. How is thermal energy different from heat?

While thermal energy and heat are closely related, they are not the same thing. Thermal energy is the total energy of all the particles in a substance, while heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one body to another.

3. What are examples of thermal energy?

Some common examples of thermal energy include the heat from a fire, the warmth from the sun, and the heat produced by the human body. Other examples include the steam from a boiling pot of water and the energy used to power a car engine.

4. How is thermal energy measured?

Thermal energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal). In scientific experiments, it is often measured using a thermometer or other specialized equipment to determine the temperature change in a substance.

5. How is thermal energy related to other forms of energy?

Thermal energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as mechanical energy, electrical energy, or chemical energy. It is also a key component in the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted into different forms.