Is there such a thing as computational Material Science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of computational tools in Materials Science research and graduate degree programs. The speaker is interested in knowing if computational work is a viable option in the field and if it ties into other disciplines like mechanical engineering and physics. They also mention taking a course in soft-body simulations offered by the Materials Science & Engineering department and provide a link to a professor who specializes in the field. The conversation concludes with another speaker mentioning their work in a theoretical chemistry/materials science research group that also uses computational tools.
myranaira
I was wondering because I'm interested in getting a Materials science graduate degree, but was wondering if my options would be limited to experimental work. What sort of work would comp. materials science involve? My rough guess would be creating models/simulations of materials as opposed to creating them in the lab, to test for things like how they react to stress, but I'd like some more information. Also, since materials science is pretty interdisciplinary does anyone know if computational research would tie into a more "traditional" field such as mech. engineering or physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I took a course in soft-body simulations which was offered by the Materials Science & Engineering department. There are lots of situations which require good models ... computer time is much cheaper than clean room time.

This type of course can appear in physics, astronomy, chemistry, engineering, etc. You would need to look closely at the programs which interest you.

Yes - I only know because I ran across it awhile back in some popular science type publication (cannot recall which). Anyway, here is a professor that specializes in it.

http://www.mse.cornell.edu/people/profile.cfm?netid=rgh27

jason

Most definitely. I actually work on the more theoretical physics side of a theoretical chemistry/materials science research group. We model both real and proposed material using computational tools like density functional theory and molecular dynamics. I know of many other groups that do similar work.

Yes, there is definitely such a thing as computational materials science. In fact, it is a rapidly growing field within materials science that combines principles from both materials science and computer science. Computational materials science involves using computer simulations and modeling techniques to study the properties and behavior of materials. This can include everything from predicting the properties of new materials to understanding how materials behave under different conditions.

Some examples of work in computational materials science could include developing new algorithms or software to model material properties, using molecular dynamics simulations to study the behavior of materials at the atomic level, or using machine learning techniques to predict the properties of new materials.

As materials science is an interdisciplinary field, computational research can definitely tie into more traditional fields such as mechanical engineering or physics. In fact, many materials science graduate programs offer a specialization in computational materials science. So if you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in materials science, there are definitely options for computational work. I would recommend researching specific programs to see if they offer a focus on computational materials science and reaching out to faculty members to learn more about their research in this area.

Related to Is there such a thing as computational Material Science?

1. What is computational material science?

Computational material science is a field that uses computer simulations and mathematical modeling to study and predict the properties and behavior of materials. This allows scientists to understand the underlying mechanisms and make predictions about the material's performance without conducting physical experiments.

2. How is computational material science different from traditional material science?

Traditional material science involves conducting experiments and analyzing the results to understand the properties and behavior of materials. Computational material science, on the other hand, uses computer simulations and modeling to study materials at a molecular level, providing a more detailed understanding of their properties and behavior.

3. What are the applications of computational material science?

Computational material science has a wide range of applications, including designing new materials with specific properties, predicting the behavior of materials under different conditions, and optimizing manufacturing processes. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics to improve the performance and reliability of materials.

4. What are the benefits of using computational material science?

There are several benefits to using computational material science. It allows for faster and more cost-effective research and development of new materials. It also reduces the need for physical experiments, which can be time-consuming and expensive. Additionally, it provides a deeper understanding of material properties, which can lead to the development of innovative and improved materials.

5. What are the challenges of computational material science?

One of the main challenges of computational material science is the accuracy of the simulations and models. While they can provide valuable insights, they are not always able to accurately predict the behavior of materials in real-world conditions. This is why it is important to validate the results with physical experiments. Additionally, computational material science requires a high level of expertise and specialized software, which can be costly and time-consuming to develop and maintain.