Is there such a thing as a total partial derivative?

In summary: If ∂s/∂x=0 and ∂s/∂z=0, then the quantity on the right would be called \frac{ds}{dx}. However, if ∂s/∂x and ∂s/∂z are not zero, then \frac{ds}{dx} represents the TOTAL partial derivative of s with respect to x and z.
nayanm
Is there such a thing as a total "partial" derivative?

Total Derivative as I've Been Taught
From my understanding, if we have a function s = f(x, y) where the two arguments x and y are related by another function y = g(x), then there is a great deal of difference between ds/dx and ∂s/∂x.

∂s/∂x is simply a partial derivative and can be calculated by treating y as a constant and differentiating f(x, y) with respect to x.

On the other hand, the "total derivative" ds/dx takes the y = g(x) relationship into account and, by the Chain Rule, gives:
[itex]\frac{ds}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂x}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{dx}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂y}[/itex][itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]​

This approach is very well explained in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_derivative#Differentiation_with_indirect_dependencies

A Different Case
However, what happens if we have a function s = f(x, y, z) and only two of the arguments are related, as through y = g(x).

As before, ∂s/∂x can still be calculated by differentiating f(x, y, z) and treating y and z as constants, but what of the total derivative in terms of x?

Such a total "partial" derivative would take the form:
(total partial derivative in terms of x) = [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂x}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{dx}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂y}[/itex][itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]​

But, clearly, we can't notate this as ds/dx since s is also a function of z. Neither can we call is ∂s/∂x since that notation is reserved for the regular partial derivative.

So my question: is there such a concept as a total "partial" derivative"? I haven't been able to find any discussion on such a concept and was curious about whether something like this even exists.

Any replies are appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac{ds}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂y}[/itex][itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]+ [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂z}[/itex][itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex]
If [itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex]=0 then [itex]\frac{ds}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂y}[/itex][itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]

JJacquelin said:
If [itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex]=0 then [itex]\frac{ds}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂s}{∂y}[/itex][itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]

If [itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex]=0, why would we refer to the quantity on the right as [itex]\frac{ds}{dx}[/itex]?

This is STILL only a partial derivative of s since s depends on z as well.

nayanm said:
If [itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex]=0, why would we refer to the quantity on the right as [itex]\frac{ds}{dx}[/itex]?
This is STILL only a partial derivative of s since s depends on z as well.

I think you are kidding !

JJacquelin said:
I think you are kidding !

Pardon? Forgive me if I'm missing something.

s depends on x, y, and z.
x and y are related; z is independent of the two.

Thus, considering the relation between x and y, we can think of s as a function of x and z only.
s then has two PARTIAL derivatives ∂s/∂x and ∂s/∂z.

Related to Is there such a thing as a total partial derivative?

1. What is a total partial derivative?

A total partial derivative is a type of derivative that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is used to analyze how the output of a function changes when one input variable is changed while keeping the other variables fixed.

2. How is a total partial derivative different from a normal derivative?

A normal derivative, also known as a partial derivative, measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while treating all other variables as constants. In contrast, a total partial derivative takes into account the effect of all variables on the function, even as one variable is being changed.

3. When is a total partial derivative used?

A total partial derivative is used in multivariable calculus to analyze the behavior of functions with multiple input variables. It is commonly used in physics, economics, and engineering to understand how a system changes when certain variables are altered.

4. How is a total partial derivative calculated?

To calculate a total partial derivative, we take the derivative of a function with respect to one variable, treating all other variables as constants. Then, we repeat this process for each variable in the function. The resulting set of partial derivatives is known as the gradient of the function.

5. Are there any real-world applications of total partial derivatives?

Yes, total partial derivatives have many real-world applications. For example, in economics, they can be used to analyze how changes in one variable, such as price, affect the demand for a product. In physics, they are used to understand the behavior of systems with multiple variables, such as temperature and pressure in a gas. In engineering, total partial derivatives are used to optimize designs by analyzing how different variables affect performance.