Is there anyother type of biological agent that can cause disease?

In summary, the mission statement of the National Association of Biology Teachers is to provide instruction that accurately reflects the principles of biological science, and to advocate for standards-based instruction that is effective in the classroom.
Jin S Zhang
As we all know, pathogens ( bacteria, viruses, fungi and prions ) cause diseases and illness to their hosts. I am just wondering if there is anyother type of biological agents or phenomena that can cause diseases besides pathogens?

Biology news on Phys.org
Would you consider a parasite to be a pathogen?
Is this just a definition question?

Jin S Zhang said:
As we all know, pathogens ( bacteria, viruses, fungi and prions ) cause diseases and illness to their hosts. I am just wondering if there is anyother type of biological agents or phenomena that can cause diseases besides pathogens?
Parasites cause rabies? [ EDIT: D'oh! ]
Radiation causes cancer/hemophilia? (not biological but you did say 'other phenomena')
Normal genetic mutation...

I'm not sure fungi cause disease.

There are also non-infections diseases like genetic disorders (e.g. cystic fibrosis), cancer (although some cancers are caused by viruses), autoimmune diseases (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis), and other diseases (like type 2 diabetes).

DaveC426913 said:
Parasites cause rabies? [ EDIT: D'oh! ]
Radiation causes cancer/hemophilia? (not biological but you did say 'other phenomena')
Normal genetic mutation...

I'm not sure fungi cause disease.

Oh sure, for example http://www.merck.com/mmhe/au/sec17/ch197/ch197b.html"s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jin S Zhang said:

Nobody has mentioned ionophores or uncouplers, but I suppose these are 'chemicals'...

Asbestos - a naturally occurring mineral causes usually cancers of the lung
Sunlight - UV causes skin melanoma
Clostridium botulinum - bacteria that produces toxin in food -- botulism.

I think this discussion is a simply a matter of defining limits - ie a definition.
See the OSHA list of chemicals
http://www.epa.gov/TRI/trichemicals/OSHA/carcinog.pdf

You have to set reasonable limits in the definition. Falling permanently into deep water also causes death - either by hypothermia or drowning. By the same feeble logic snow causes disease and death as well. This is the problem here in this thread.

Too much of almost anything and/or almost anything really out of place is going to cause problems.

Does infatuation count as a disease?

jim mcnamara said:
You have to set reasonable limits in the definition.
Well, there was a limit defined that you are ignoring...
jim mcnamara said:
Falling permanently into deep water also causes death - either by hypothermia or drowning.
I'm no meat scientist but I'm pretty sure those are not diseases.

However, your point is made. Cancer is a disease, and the things that can cause cancer are almost limitless.

I was being ridiculous - as you noted. Biology is one of those disciplines where folks a priori definitions fall apart into nonsense rapidly. Except that falling apart delves into absurd faster than impossible, unlike other sciences. IMO.

jim mcnamara said:
Biology is one of those disciplines where folks a priori definitions fall apart into nonsense rapidly. Except that falling apart delves into absurd faster than impossible, unlike other sciences. IMO.

Hi Jim :smile: I love coming to this website. It's about Science! :biggrin: Thanks for bringing this up and giving me the opportunity to present "The National Association of Biology Teachers" (NABT) Mission Statement.

NABT's Statement on Teaching Evolution

As stated in The American Biology Teacher by the eminent scientist Theodosius Dobzhansky (1973), "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution." This often-quoted declaration accurately reflects the central, unifying role of evolution in biology. The theory of evolution provides a framework that explains both the history of life and the ongoing adaptation of organisms to environmental challenges and changes.

While modern biologists constantly study and deliberate the patterns, mechanisms, and pace of evolution, they agree that all living things share common ancestors. The fossil record and the diversity of extant organisms, combined with modern techniques of molecular biology, taxonomy, and geology, provide exhaustive examples of and powerful evidence for current evolutionary theory. Genetic variation, natural selection, speciation, and extinction are well-established components of modern evolutionary theory. Explanations are constantly modified and refined as warranted by new scientific evidence that accumulates over time, which demonstrates the integrity and validity of the field.

Scientists have firmly established evolution as an important natural process. The nature of science, experimentation, logical analysis, and evidence-based revision based on detectable and measurable data are procedures that clearly differentiate and separate science from other ways of knowing. Explanations or ways of knowing that invoke metaphysical, non-naturalistic or supernatural mechanisms, whether called "creation science," "scientific creationism," "intelligent design theory," "young Earth theory," or similar designations, are outside the scope of science and therefore are not part of a valid science curriculum.

The selection of topics covered in a biology curriculum should accurately reflect the principles of biological science. Teaching biology in an effective and scientifically honest manner requires that evolution be taught in a standards-based instructional framework with effective classroom discussions and laboratory experiences.

Adopted by the NABT Board of Directors,1995. Revised 1997, 2000, May 2004, and 2008. Endorsed by: The Society for the Study of Evolution,1998; The American Association of Physical Anthropologists, 1998.

http://www.nabt.org/websites/institution/index.php?p=92

Coming around here makes me extra happy. I think it's a healthy environment. In a healthy environment there's less disease so thinketh me.

jim mcnamara said:
I was being ridiculous - as you noted. Biology is one of those disciplines where folks a priori definitions fall apart into nonsense rapidly. Except that falling apart delves into absurd faster than impossible, unlike other sciences. IMO.
What do you mean?

I think he refers to the fact that world of living organisms is so rich, flexible and intertwined, that most definitions that try to classify things and put them in boxes can be ridiculed.

It doesn't mean these definitions are not usefull, but they are never universal.

--

Jin S Zhang said:
As we all know, pathogens ( bacteria, viruses, fungi and prions ) cause diseases and illness to their hosts. I am just wondering if there is any other type of biological agents or phenomena that can cause diseases besides pathogens?
By definition a biological agent that causes disease in their host IS a pathogen.

The balance of the responses appear to refer to human disease, although pathogens affecting the rest of the animal kingdom may be inferred.

So within the animal kingdom, how many of you were thinking of pathogens http://insectpathogens.com/" ? Besides the biological agents mentioned, they also develop disease from protozoans and nematodes. Bee keepers are quite interested in pathogens affecting their hives.

How about the plant kingdom? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_pathology" (plant pathology) is the study of plant disease. Among plant pathogens, biotic agents include: bacteria, viruses, fungi, nematodes, protozoa & parasitic plants. The majority of plant pathogens are fungi.

Some biological phenomena that cause disease: abnormal immune-responses (auto-immune disease, allergies), DNA replication or checkpoint errors (cancer), metabolic stress (aging), germ-line mutations (a whole spectrum of diseases), germ-line chromosome missegregation (syndroms such as Klinefelter or Down-syndrome).

Cells are made up of molecular machines, so if something goes wrong you will end up with a disease.

Related to Is there anyother type of biological agent that can cause disease?

1. What are biological agents?

Biological agents are microorganisms or toxins that can cause illness or disease in humans, animals, or plants. They can include bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, and prions.

2. How do biological agents cause disease?

Biological agents can cause disease by entering the body through various routes such as inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact. They can then replicate and produce toxins or damage cells, leading to symptoms of illness.

3. Can any biological agent cause disease?

Yes, any type of biological agent has the potential to cause disease. However, the severity and likelihood of causing disease may vary depending on the specific agent and the host's immune system.

4. Are there any other types of biological agents besides bacteria and viruses?

Yes, besides bacteria and viruses, there are other types of biological agents that can cause disease such as fungi, parasites, and prions. These agents may not be as well-known, but they can still pose a threat to human health.

5. How can we protect ourselves from biological agents?

There are various ways to protect ourselves from biological agents, such as practicing good hygiene, avoiding contact with infected individuals, and getting vaccinated. In addition, proper handling and disposal of biological materials can also prevent the spread of disease.