Is there any truth to law of attraction ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the law of attraction and whether there is any scientific evidence to support it. The participants share their thoughts on the subject, with one pointing out that magicians use sleight of hand tricks to create the illusion of mind control over objects. They also discuss the idea of the mind being able to attract money through electro magnetic frequencies, with another participant dismissing this concept as "horse manure". The conversation ends with one participant asking for evidence to support the existence of the mind as a metaphysical entity with the power to attract matter.
sir.lemmiwink5
Hello everybody,

This is my first post and without bragging and sounding like a show off i thought i would give a short introduction, i am not an incredibly intellectual individual, i have a minor understanding in the universe and physics, i do not and have never studied at any university/college. However i do hope to raise my understanding from becoming an involved member of this community.

This question may have face palming side effects to most or even all of the people on this forum.

Many people i know have been speaking about the law of attraction, i myself have done some reading up on the topic, i find myself being caught in-between thoughts and have not come to any conclusions which in my hopes some of you will be able to shed some light on.

Now, regarding the whole mind over matter/law of attraction/using your mind to manifest objects or situations into ones physical reality, are there any proven truths to this topic as a whole or even minor portions which are true OR has this just been a great book/business idea targeted at human desire ? I do not want to believe such a thing based on any assumptions or because of a burning desire to live like a rock star that i will believe anything even if its to good to be true.

What are the flaws in this whole topic which physics is currently able to prove false and what are the truths if there are any which can be backed by proven physics ? i would much appreciate any thoughts on this especially those which are not attempting to answer my assumptions with further assumptions.

Just thought i would also add that there is a book i am sure many of yeah have read called the holographic universe which Michael Talbot uses Sai Baba as an example by talking about Sai Baba's acts of manifesting objects into physical reality using his mind. The thing with using Sai Baba as an example is that the only thing Sai Baba has ever proven is that he has some sleight of hand tricks up his sleeve which is just a little bit better than asking everybody in the audience to turn around, pull some objects out of a bag he hid under the table and for his coup de grace tells everybody that they can turn back around again..

Cheers.

Physics is Phun.

Physics news on Phys.org
sir.lemmiwink5 said:
Now, regarding the whole mind over matter/law of attraction/using your mind to manifest objects or situations into ones physical reality, are there any proven truths to this topic as a whole or even minor portions which are true OR has this just been a great book/business idea targeted at human desire ?

It certainly has nothing to do with reality.

A reminder to all members posting here: asserting that claims outside of mainstream science are true is not allowed.

Hi sir.lemmiwink5, welcome to PF!

It's a good sign that you have doubts about sleight of hand tricks. Through the ages, many "magicians" have used them (and have become rich doing so :wink:). It's good to be skeptical.

It would be great if magicians would come into the lab to demonstrate to scientists that they have found new laws of physics - scientists would love to see that! But of course, magicians won't come into the lab. They need to be in complete control of the environment, otherwise the trick won't work. What does that tell you?

There is no evidence of "mind control" of objects. If you think you see it happening, feel confident that the magician doing it is very skilled - yet the laws of physics hold. There is a trick in there somewhere.

lisab said:
There is no evidence of "mind control" of objects. If you think you see it happening, feel confident that the magician doing it is very skilled - yet the laws of physics hold. There is a trick in there somewhere.

Hi Lisab and thanks for that warm welcome.

Okay you've given me enough info there for me to make a conclusion on the subject. Now i'd like to ask about the law of attraction which i hear many people talking about. Let's just say for example that there are individuals out there that believe in this law of attraction and that they can attract money into their lives using their mind and its frequencies/vibrations. Taking a step back and looking at the teachers of this law i come to the conclusion that if somebody could attract vast amounts of money into their possession, they wouldn't need to make money from selling the books which teach this law, they could just give the information out for free. I guess this just goes off what you were talking about with magicians making a lot of money hehe.

Now, from the little knowledge i understand about quantum physics i know that the world is supposed to be a projection of our mind however there is no hard evidence to back this claim, from what i understand it is still a theory. So aside from quantum physics, is there any evidence or studies which have proven the existence of the mind being let's just say for example a metaphysical entity thing =\ which can function on a electro magnetic frequency to attract matter in a monetary equivalent like a magnet ? I know these questions may be very elementary but i really need to figure this out.

sir.lemmiwink5 said:
is there any evidence or studies which have proven the existence of the mind being let's just say for example a metaphysical entity thing =\ which can function on a electro magnetic frequency to attract matter in a monetary equivalent like a magnet ?

In technical terms, this concept is known as "horse manure".

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opinion/perspectives/keep-your-hands-off-my-theory-new-age-mystics-are-misusing-quantum-mechanics-281046/

Zz.

sir.lemmiwink5 said:
[...] which can function on a electro magnetic frequency to attract matter in a monetary equivalent like a magnet ? I know these questions may be very elementary but i really need to figure this out.

What does "monetary equivalent" mean here? :confused:

sir.lemmiwink5 said:
Now, from the little knowledge i understand about quantum physics i know that the world is supposed to be a projection of our mind however there is no hard evidence to back this claim, from what i understand it is still a theory.

Careful with your language (bolding mine).

1. No one has ever made that claim about quantum mechanics in earnest
  2. If there is no evidence for something, it certainly cannot be considered a theory

If you're genuinely interested in understanding quantum mechanics, there is a wealth of resources available. Start with Max Planck and black body radiation and move on to Einstein and the photoelectric effect. These topics are well covered even on Wikipedia.

What you'll find as you read is that the subject matter does not become confused, only the reader. Quantum theory is not a muddle of random thoughts and poorly resolved ideas... it's incredibly precise and functions on a perfectly practical level. It's just not intuitive.

I think this is a good opportunity to educated people who are not in science, and especially those who are relatively new here. The misunderstanding of the word "theory" as used in science, as opposed to how it is used in common usage, must be corrected.

This Helen Quinn essay will not only correct this misunderstanding, but also teaches you a lot more.

http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March07/Quinn/Quinn.html

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opinion/perspectives/keep-your-hands-off-my-theory-new-age-mystics-are-misusing-quantum-mechanics-281046/

Zz.

:bugeye:

You get your desirables with the Law of Attraction, which says that visualizing things causes them to happen. Need money? Visualize it! If you have trouble visualizing, you can go to Rhonda Byrne's website and print out a blank check.

And here I've stupidly been working my butt off since the age of 8, when all I had to do was fill out a blank check for a bazillion dollars. :grumpy:

Good god. It's everywhere!

Michael says the law of attraction—the principle that "like attracts like"—is also a process of knowing what you want and using positive energy to create vibrations that signal your desires to other people and the universe.

The process is not instantaneous—instead, Michael says you must trust and know that good things will come once you implement the law of attraction.
http://www.oprah.com/oprahradio/Trusting-the-Law-of-Attraction

I thought "like repels like"?

We don't allow woowoo here. Thread closed.

1. What is the law of attraction?

The law of attraction is a belief that states that a person's thoughts and emotions can affect the events and circumstances in their life. It suggests that by focusing on positive thoughts and feelings, a person can attract positive outcomes and experiences into their life.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the law of attraction?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the law of attraction. Many studies have been conducted on the power of positive thinking and visualization, but these have not been able to prove the direct influence of thoughts on external events. However, some studies have shown that having a positive mindset can lead to improved mood and motivation, which can indirectly impact a person's actions and outcomes.

3. Can the law of attraction be used to manifest specific things or events?

Many proponents of the law of attraction claim that it can be used to manifest specific things or events in a person's life. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. It is more likely that having a positive mindset and taking action towards a goal can lead to the desired outcome, rather than solely relying on the law of attraction.

4. Can the law of attraction be used to attract wealth or success?

Some people believe that by focusing on abundance and success, they can attract wealth and success into their life. However, the law of attraction does not guarantee wealth or success. It is important to take action towards your goals and make practical plans to achieve them, rather than solely relying on the law of attraction.

5. Can the law of attraction be used to improve relationships?

The law of attraction suggests that by focusing on positive thoughts and feelings, a person can attract positive experiences and people into their life. This could potentially improve relationships, but again, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. It is more likely that having a positive mindset and actively working on communication and connection with others can improve relationships.