Is there an image of the popularity of various fields of physics over time?

In summary, this conversation is about whether or not there is a way to see overall trends for particle physics, condensed matter physics, astrophysics, cosmology, and string theory. The person says that it's a pointless exercise and that how would you quantify popularity in an attempt to view a trend. They also say that there is no way to tell if a field is declining or expanding based on the number of papers published. The person also makes good points about how you can still use metrics even if the data is subjective.
Simfish
Gold Member
E.g. Is there a way to see overall trends for particle physics, condensed matter physics, astrophysics, cosmology, and string theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Seems like a pointless exercise anyways. How would you quantify popularity in an attempt to view a trend? How would you take into account the obvious subjectivity in the question?

Could you look at the number of papers published in each field? I'm a bit confused by the OP question.

Well, you know, some fields are rapidly expanding, and other fields are declining. Nuclear physics, for example, just doesn't seem as popular as it used to be (although fusion research might reignite interest in it). It's useful information for those of us who want to think about a field to specialize in for the future. Some fields are creating new positions, while other fields are simply getting rid of positions with each retirement.

Simfish said:
Nuclear physics, for example, just doesn't seem as popular as it used to be

The cover (+Viewpoint) of this issue of PRL is a nuclear physics result. In fact, now that I think of it, I think you would be better served reading PRL regularly than trying to game the system.

Simfish said:
It's useful information for those of us who want to think about a field to specialize in for the future. Some fields are creating new positions, while other fields are simply getting rid of positions with each retirement.

Ah, you want to chase ambulances!

I'm afraid this is not useful information. You don't care about what's trendy now, you care about what's going to be trendy 10-15 years from now when you'll be looking for a position - after you've finished grad school and a postdoc or two. There's no way to tell - in fact, if you could predict the future that far ahead, there are far more lucrative professions out there. :biggrin:

Okay, those are good points. Anyways, I'm really just curious just for curiosity's sake (I'm obsessed with demographic data). Yeah, I know it's somewhat subjective. But there are various weights of metrics that you can still use. A degree of subjectivity in the metrics doesn't make it useless (similar thing with grad school rankings)

Related to Is there an image of the popularity of various fields of physics over time?

1. What are the most popular fields of physics currently?

The most popular fields of physics currently are condensed matter physics, particle physics, and astrophysics.

2. Has the popularity of certain fields of physics changed over time?

Yes, the popularity of fields of physics can change over time as new discoveries are made and technological advancements are achieved.

3. How do you measure the popularity of a field of physics?

The popularity of a field of physics can be measured by the number of publications, citations, and funding in that field, as well as the number of researchers and students pursuing it.

4. Are there any fields of physics that have become less popular over time?

It is difficult to say if any fields of physics have become less popular over time, as different fields may gain or lose popularity at different times and for different reasons. However, some subfields within a larger field may see a decline in interest due to the emergence of new discoveries or technologies.

5. Can the popularity of a field of physics impact its funding and resources?

Yes, the popularity of a field of physics can impact its funding and resources, as more popular fields may receive more funding and resources for research and development. However, this is not always the case and funding decisions may also depend on other factors such as societal impact and potential for practical applications.