Is there an English translation of Jacobi's work on mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses various original documents and sources for learning mechanics, including Principia, Euler's Mechanica, and Analytical Mechanics. The individual also mentions looking for Poisson's work on mechanics and the need for an English version of Jacobi's work on the Hamilton-Jacobi formulation of mechanics. They also inquire about a book that follows the historical work of Jacobi.
jonjacson
Hi folks,

I am interested in the historical original documents.

Newtonian mechanics could be learned from--> Principia and Euler's Mechanica
Lagrangian mechanics--> Analytical Mechanics
Poisson--> I found his teatrise on mechanics where I expect to find out his "brackets", but I have not yet read the books.
Hamiltonian mechanics--> I have found some papers "On a general method in dynamics"But I have no idea about the original papers of the "Hamilton Jacobi" formulation of mechanics. Is there anywhere an english version of Jacobi's work on this topic?

Is there any book following the historical work from Jacobi?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
Friend, in the era of internet, posters are required to read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_Jacob_Jacobi first, then come to PF for questions, if any left.

Do you mean this one?

Jacobi's lectures on dynamics

Or this one?

Jacobi, Carl Gustav Jacob (1996) [1848], Vorlesungen über analytische Mechanik, Dokumente zur Geschichte der Mathematik [Documents on the History of Mathematics], 8, Freiburg: Deutsche Mathematiker Vereinigung, doi:10.1007/978-3-322-80289-7, ISBN 978-3-528-06692-5, MR 1414679

If it is the second one I don't know german.

The first should be. Jacobi, Carl Gustav Jacob (2009) [1866], Clebsch, A.; Balagangadharan, K.; Banerjee, Biswarup, eds., Jacobi's lectures on dynamics, Texts and Readings in Mathematics, 51, New Delhi: Hindustan Book Agency, ISBN 9788185931913, MR 2569315

Likes jonjacson

Related to Is there an English translation of Jacobi's work on mechanics?

1. What is Jacobi's work on mechanics?

Jacobi's work on mechanics is a collection of lectures and papers written by German mathematician Carl Gustav Jacob Jacobi in the 19th century. It covers topics such as mechanics, calculus, and the theory of differential equations.

2. Why is an English translation of Jacobi's work on mechanics important?

An English translation of Jacobi's work on mechanics is important because it allows a wider audience to access and understand the concepts and theories presented by Jacobi. It also allows for further research and analysis by non-German speakers.

3. Is there currently an English translation of Jacobi's work on mechanics available?

Yes, there is currently an English translation of Jacobi's work on mechanics available. It was translated by T. J. McCormack and published in 1994 by Cambridge University Press.

4. Are there any other translations of Jacobi's work on mechanics?

Aside from the English translation by T. J. McCormack, there are also French and Italian translations of Jacobi's work on mechanics. However, the English translation is considered to be the most widely used and comprehensive.

5. Where can I find a copy of the English translation of Jacobi's work on mechanics?

The English translation of Jacobi's work on mechanics can be found in libraries or can be purchased from online retailers such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble.