Analytical formulation of Newton's Laws

In summary: Newton's Principia is written almost entirely using geometrical proofs and diagrams, barely using any calculus at all. It is thought that Newton was reluctant to use his calculus in this work, fearing that it would undermine its credibility and reception, since the calculus was heavily criticised at the time as being based on philosophically unsound vanishing departed infinitesimal quantities.Further to this, we think of Newton as one of the founding fathers of modern science, yet the Principia is by no means a modern book. The Laws are stated in words, and there is not a single equation in the entire work. There is no analytical formulation presented at all. Newton laid out the physics of mechanics, but not the analytical approach.
andro
Greetings historians of physics!

Newton's Principia is written almost entirely using geometrical proofs and diagrams, barely using any calculus at all. It is thought that Newton was reluctant to use his calculus in this work, fearing that it would undermine its credibility and reception, since the calculus was heavily criticised at the time as being based on philosophically unsound vanishing departed infinitesimal quantities.

Further to this, we think of Newton as one of the founding fathers of modern science, yet the Principia is by no means a modern book. The Laws are stated in words, and there is not a single equation in the entire work. There is no analytical formulation presented at all. Newton laid out the physics of mechanics, but not the analytical approach. Many people are surprised by this, equating in their mind the equation F = ma as being Newton's work. The principle is, but not the mathematical statement.

Currently, I am trying to determine who first put forward the analytical formulation of Newton's Mechanics. I have a feeling it was Euler in his Mechanica of 1736. I am actually sure it was him, but reading the work so far, I have not come across the section (it's a dense book, and in Latin). [Perhaps I had better just keep on reading!]

Does anybody know the exact history of this matter? Was there anybody preceding Euler in this area?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course - Euler formulated Newton analytically. The Mechanica is calculus based. It is Newton that does not use his own calculus in the Principia. The question concerns who was the first to use a modern mathematical approach to expounding Newton.

As to the English translation mentioned, it's useful but full of errors and uncorrected typos (with all due respect to the translator). Scientific Latin is a difficult language to make translations from.

Laplace wrote about Newtonian mechanics. I agree that Newton was a transitional figure. Keep in mind that if your work inspires a paradigm shift in our way of thinking, you yourself had to have lived and worked before that shift occurred. Also, remember that Newton wrote a million words on alchemy.

Yes indeed. Laplace was born in 1749, well after Euler's Mechanica of 1736. He used a strong calculus base for his formulation of classical mechanics, and was indeed. another man of great genius.

What I am trying to get at is who first wrote out N II as F = ma? There are hints that it may have actually been Torricelli, a student of Galileo, and this of course before Newton.

Related to Analytical formulation of Newton's Laws

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed mathematically as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How are Newton's Laws of Motion used in analytical formulation?

Analytical formulation of Newton's Laws involves using mathematical equations to describe the motion of objects based on these laws. This allows scientists and engineers to predict and analyze the behavior of objects in various situations, such as in motion or at rest, and under the influence of different forces.