Is there a way to disrupt air molecules?

In summary, using a vacuum to create an air-free space around an object would require using a force-field.
frozenguy
I want to know if there is a way to push or disrupt air molecules around an object, or the device. Like some time of electrical field maybe?

How would one attempt to go about creating a space evacuated of air around the device, with a field, or a vacuum nearing evacuation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would pretty much have a force-field if you did that, I don't think there is any way to do that reasonably.

What do you mean by a force-field? Don't generate fields with electromagnetics? Those have forces.

Well can someone point me in the direction of where one could start?

How can you manipulate gaseous molecules of N, and O?

More importantly, how would one measure a result like this? You could have tubes at different heights off the surface of the device that ran to barometer's.

Actually, just use this "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_window" and your set. It is a force field for all intents and purposes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of just repelling the gaseous atoms away from the device, in all directions. Like a short distance, x. a few cm, half a meter, I dunno.

The plasma window is interesting but it has plasma on the outside which I don't think I want in this experiment.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to hold it for too long.

If you need a device that repels air strongly enough to hold a good vacuum while not repelling your hand at all your going to need to do some research for a while.

The ideas being talked about here are just not possible with current technology.

Vacuums can be created inside rigid-walled vessels, but there is no way to just repel air molecules and create a vacuum in mid-air, so to speak.

Related to Is there a way to disrupt air molecules?

1. How can air molecules be disrupted?

Air molecules can be disrupted in several ways, including through the use of heat, pressure, or sound waves. Other methods include introducing a chemical substance or applying an electric current to the air molecules.

2. Can disrupting air molecules have any negative effects?

Disrupting air molecules can have both positive and negative effects. For example, disrupting air molecules through the use of sound waves can create music or vibrations, but disrupting air molecules through the use of chemicals can result in air pollution.

3. Is it possible to disrupt air molecules without any equipment?

Yes, it is possible to disrupt air molecules without any equipment. For example, simply clapping your hands or blowing air can disrupt air molecules and create small disturbances in the air.

4. How does disrupting air molecules affect the surrounding environment?

The effects of disrupting air molecules on the surrounding environment depend on the method used and the intensity of the disruption. For example, disrupting air molecules through the use of sound waves can create vibrations that can be felt by nearby objects, while disrupting air molecules through the use of heat can change the temperature of the air.

5. Can disrupting air molecules be used for any practical purposes?

Yes, disrupting air molecules can be used for a variety of practical purposes, such as creating energy through wind turbines, conditioning the air in HVAC systems, and producing sound for music or communication. However, it is important to consider the potential negative effects as well and use caution when disrupting air molecules.