Can the air disruptive field (about 3*10^6 V/m) be calculated?

• Thread starter tsuwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Field
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the air disruptive field and its relationship to the physical properties of O2 and N2 molecules in the atmosphere. The approach of using the periodic table to determine the electric field produced by the nucleus is discussed, as well as the importance of considering the presence of free electrons and ions in the air. The question of whether recombination or ionization dominates in the air is also addressed, with the suggestion of using the mean free path length for approximation.
tsuwal
My book says that the air disruptive field (about 3*10^6 V/m). Is this value empirical or can be deduced from the physical properties of O2 and N2 molecules in the atmosphere?

I tried to calculate this disruptive field assuming it to be the field necessary to pull an eletron out of an nitrogen atom. The periodic tables says that the nitrogen atom radius is 60 pm and it's effective atomic number is 3.9 (I assume that the atractive field made by the nucleus is equavalent to that produced by a charge of 3.9 times the carge of the eletron) so the eletric field produced by the nucleus is about 1.6*10^12 N/C. This is way above the disruptive field! How shall I do my math?

Physics news on Phys.org
With your approach, you would calculate the value where no air is possible at all.

There are always some free electrons/ions in the air. They get accelerated along the electric field. If they meet an ion/electron, they can recombine. If they hit an atom with sufficient energy, they can ionize this. So the basic question is: What happens more frequently? If recombination dominates, everything is fine. If ionization dominates, you get more and more electrons and ions and the air begins to conduct.
With the mean free path length, it should be possible to get some approximation.

Related to Can the air disruptive field (about 3*10^6 V/m) be calculated?

1. How is the air disruptive field calculated?

The air disruptive field can be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the voltage applied, and d is the distance between the electrodes.

2. What is the significance of the air disruptive field in scientific research?

The air disruptive field is important in understanding the behavior of air molecules under high voltage conditions. It is also used in various scientific experiments and studies, such as in plasma physics and atmospheric electricity.

3. Can the air disruptive field be measured directly?

No, the air disruptive field cannot be measured directly. It can only be calculated using the formula mentioned above, or indirectly measured using specialized equipment such as a high voltage probe.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with the air disruptive field?

Yes, high voltage fields can be dangerous and should be handled with caution. It is important to wear protective gear and follow proper safety protocols when working with the air disruptive field.

5. Is the air disruptive field constant or does it vary?

The air disruptive field can vary depending on factors such as voltage, distance between electrodes, and air pressure. Therefore, it is not a constant value and must be calculated for specific conditions.