Is there a way the ancients moved giant stones without machinery?

• Thread starter emjay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    stones
In summary, the conversation mainly centers around the show "Ancient Aliens" and its theories about ancient civilizations building structures with the help of extraterrestrial beings. The participants discuss how these theories are often debunked and how they can be seen as arrogant and lazy. They also mention the building of a replica of Stonehenge and different methods that could have been used to move heavy stones in ancient times. The conversation ends with a humorous reference to "Poe's Law" and the lack of imagination in modern engineering compared to ancient techniques.
One of the most interesting, relatively experimentally verifiable, claims made about moving large stones is that of the Easter Island moai (the large stone figures looking upwards) which tradition claims simply "walked" into place. Well, an experiment was done by tying two ropes to a large stone similar to the moai; a group of people pulling the moai left with one rope and another group pulling it right in a sort of "twisting" action. The moai did indeed twist a small amount with every pull to the left then another to the right and "walked" forward albeit just a little bit and conceivably could with determination and sheer brute force be moved as far as physically possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
jackmell said:
One of the most interesting, relatively experimentally verifiable, claims made about moving large stones is that of the Easter Island moai (the large stone figures looking upwards) which tradition claims simply "walked" into place. Well, an experiment was done by tying two ropes to a large stone similar to the moai; a group of people pulling the moai left with one rope and another group pulling it right in a sort of "twisting" action. The moai did indeed twist a small amount with every pull to the left then another to the right and "walked" forward albeit just a little bit and conceivably could with determination and sheer brute force be moved as far as physically possible.
Thor Heyerdahl said he was told they "walked there by themselves."

Consider this: when I am washing the windows of my old VW Beetle, I spray windex on the windows and then set the bottle of windex on the roof. More often than not, the bottle won't stay put, and jitters down the slope of the roof, remaining upright (until it comes to the edge and falls off).

The Easter Islanders might have maximized that effect. The path from the quarry to the final position would have to be all down hill, and they would have had to pack the path into a very hard surface. The latter is doable with primitive tools: I know the Mandan Indians of the US did it to the floors of their lodges by lifting logs by rope and tripod and letting the logs fall, end first, to ram the Earth hard. Sort of a vertical battering ram. I have read that rammed Earth can be as hard as concrete.

IIRC, the statues are made in the interior of the Island and set into place near the coast, so it could well be the path was all downhill. Even if they weren't all down hill, they could have used this effect on the parts that were and still claim the statues walked by themselves.

There was a Kurt Vonnegut short story which suggested that in ancient times gravity cycled and ancient monuments were built during times of low gravity, hell its as good an explanation as you'll get from the frizzy haired loon on the History Channel.

Evo said:
LOL!

25103267.jpg
I've seen this guy a few times, is he a fool who really believes the rubbish he spouts or a knave who preys on the gullible and foolish?

Jobrag said:
I've seen this guy a few times, is he a fool who really believes the rubbish he spouts or a knave who preys on the gullible and foolish?
Have you read this thread? That's what we've been discussing.

Some day when peace comes to the middle east I would like to visit Baalbeck.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_5bk.jpg

Stone of the Pregnant Woman

http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_5g.jpg

http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_5d.gif

The Trylithon

jackmell said:
ne of the most interesting, relatively experimentally verifiable, claims made about moving large stones is that of the Easter Island moai (the large stone figures looking upwards) which tradition claims simply "walked" into place. Well, an experiment was done by tying two ropes to a large stone similar to the moai; a group of people pulling the moai left with one rope and another group pulling it right in a sort of "twisting" action. The moai did indeed twist a small amount with every pull to the left then another to the right and "walked" forward albeit just a little bit and conceivably could with determination and sheer brute force be moved as far as physically possible.

Zooby's link has this photo
http://www.scientificamerican.com/sciam/cache/file/46F7505A-AA4C-409E-A7CCA5D711C378E1_article.jpg?9C963

i saw a show within the year where they did that walking the statue (dont remember whether it was PBS or a history channel). It did take them some time to get competent , and they had a crane to recover when they dropped it.

It was over fifty years ago i read Heyerdahl's Aku-Aku about his trip to Easter Island., so details are faint now. As i recall he did finish chiseling an incomplete statue out of the quarry and stood it upright, but didn't "walk" it more than a very few feet..

Aliens ? Kon Tiki relates legends from ancient times of white haired strangers with extraordinary abilities but I assumed they were Vikings.

Likes Silicon Waffle
jim hardy said:
Zooby's link has this photo
You saw there's more than just a photo, right? Scroll down that link a bit more and there's a video of them "walking" the huge statue. It's a trip.

Likes jim hardy
Having seen a few AA episodes their arguments regarding this sort of thing essentially boil down to:

1) It's hard to do with modern tools

2) It's harder to do without modern tools

3) Seriously without modern tools it would take ageeees to do this and be reallllly hard

4) Therefore aliens did it

It's like the idea that people would spend years of their life working hard at making something is completely alien to them (pun intended).

I think Giorgio Clamato ( or something like that ) has a degree in either sports medicine or cosmetology
Ryan_m_b said:
Having seen a few AA episodes their arguments regarding this sort of thing essentially boil down to:

1) It's hard to do with modern tools

2) It's harder to do without modern tools

3) Seriously without modern tools it would take ageeees to do this and be reallllly hard

4) Therefore aliens did it

It's like the idea that people would spend years of their life working hard at making something is completely alien to them (pun intended).

I agree with this, but there is also the arrogance of: " I cannot conceive of it, so it must be impossible" , never mind the fact that they neither have the training necessary to be able to make a reasonable evaluation/assessment of the feasibility of the construction. Though maybe this is just what you meant.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle