Is there a type of battery that will not lose capacity?

In summary, Panasonic engineers report in a paper that their Li (Ni,Co,Al)O2 based batteries suffer less than 10% loss after 3000 cycles. Cycle life is dependent on a couple of other factors.
radaballer
Lithium ion batteries infamously degrade over time. 1000 charges can cause up to 20% loss in capacity. Is there a type of rechargeable battery that will not degrade over time?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If there is, I've never heard of it.

Batteries that keep the reagents separate are available. They last decades, but have to be started by breaking the separator seal. Once that is done, they decay as normal. Presumably a flow battery might also qualify, if there are any outside of labs.

radaballer said:
Lithium ion batteries infamously degrade over time. 1000 charges can cause up to 20% loss in capacity. Is there a type of rechargeable battery that will not degrade over time?
I recall people boasting in another forum that they have a particular type of secondary cell that is still going strong after a few decades of use. I think they were talking about the NiFe cell. You used to be able to buy them dry and you'd fill them with your own KOH solution. They were not sealed (in today's terminology), and not what you'd call high capacity.

From memory, around 1.2V, but try a web search. Not sure whether you'd even be able to buy these now.
I bought one from a disposals store in the 70s. http://thumbnails112.imagebam.com/37333/0363e9373324851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
I recall people boasting in another forum that they have a particular type of secondary cell that is still going strong after a few decades of use. I think they were talking about the NiFe cell. You used to be able to buy them dry and you'd fill them with your own KOH solution. They were not sealed (in today's terminology), and not what you'd call high capacity.

From memory, around 1.2V, but try a web search. Not sure whether you'd even be able to buy these now.
I bought one from a disposals store in the 70s. http://thumbnails112.imagebam.com/37333/0363e9373324851.jpg

This site has a lot of information and pictures.

http://www.nickel-iron-battery.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
radaballer said:
Panasonic engineers report in paper that their Li (Ni,Co,Al)O2 based batteries suffer less than 10% loss after 3000 cycles. Cycle life is dependent on a couple of other factors. High temperature operation shortens life. So does rapid discharge, e.g. in an electric vehicle keeping the "pedal down" as a habit.
http://ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2011-02/17/1282.full.pdf

The EV auto maker Tesla reportedly uses Panasonic cells in their vehicle, integrated into battery packs that control temperature.

Related to Is there a type of battery that will not lose capacity?

1. What is the best type of battery for long-term use?

The best type of battery for long-term use is a lithium-ion battery. These batteries have a longer lifespan compared to other types of batteries and have the ability to retain their capacity for a longer period of time.

2. How long does it take for a battery to lose its capacity?

The rate at which a battery loses its capacity depends on various factors such as usage, temperature, and storage conditions. In general, a lithium-ion battery can retain 80% of its capacity after 500 charge cycles.

3. Are there any batteries that do not lose their capacity?

While all batteries will eventually lose their capacity over time, lithium-ion batteries have been found to have the longest lifespan and retain their capacity for a longer period of time compared to other types of batteries.

4. Can I prevent a battery from losing its capacity?

There are certain precautions you can take to slow down the rate at which a battery loses its capacity. These include avoiding extreme temperatures, not overcharging or fully discharging the battery, and using the correct charger for the battery.

5. Is there a difference in battery capacity between brands?

Yes, there can be differences in battery capacity between different brands. It is important to do research and choose a reputable brand that uses high-quality materials and has a good track record for producing long-lasting batteries.