Is There a Trick to Simplifying Integrals of Complex Numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses a technique for finding the integral of e^x cosx and e^x sinx by using the real part of e^x e^ix. It is a valid technique and can be useful in finding these integrals simultaneously. This technique is not a replacement for integration by parts but can give the same result with a constant difference.
x-is-y
Suppose we want to find

[tex] \int e^x \cos{x} \ dx [/tex]

We know from [tex] e^{ix} = \cos{x} + i\sin{x} [/tex] that the real part of [tex] e^{ix} [/tex] equals [tex] \cos{x} [/tex]. So suppose we want to find that integral, is it ok to study the real part of [tex] e^x \cdot e^{ix} [/tex]? In that case we get

[tex] \int e^x \cos{x} \ dx = \int e^x e^{ix} \ dx = \frac{e^x e^{ix}}{1+i}[/tex]

Doing this gives us
[tex] (1/2) e^x e^{ix} (1 - i)[/tex]
[tex] (1/2) e^x (\cos{x} + i\sin{x})(1 - i)[/tex]
[tex] (1/2) e^x (\cos{x} - i\cos{x} + i\sin{x} + \sin{x})[/tex]

Hence we find that

[tex] \int e^x \cos{x} \ dx = (1/2)e^x (\cos{x} + \sin{x}) [/tex]

Which is indeed the result we get from using integration by parts. We also get that the imaginary part is (same as by integration by parts)

[tex] \int e^x \sin{x} \ dx = (1/2) e^x (\sin{x} - \cos{x}) [/tex].

But is this technique ok and is there any more examples of this technique? Is there a name for this? Doing this instead of using integration by parts we get the integrals of [tex] e^x \cos{x} [/tex] and [tex] e^x \sin{x} [/tex] at the same time ... I can't think of any way why this shouldn't be ok.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a completely valid technique.

just one thing about notation.
it's not correct to equate that the integral of e^x(1+i) eqauls the integral of e^xcos(x), but rather that the real part of the former intergal differs from the latter by a cosntant.
besides this, looks like a nice idea, which can be very useful.

Related to Is There a Trick to Simplifying Integrals of Complex Numbers?

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, defined as the square root of -1. Complex numbers are used in mathematics to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary components.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real and imaginary components separately. For example, (3 + 4i) + (2 + 5i) = (3 + 2) + (4 + 5)i = 5 + 9i. Similarly, (3 + 4i) - (2 + 5i) = (3 - 2) + (4 - 5)i = 1 - i.

3. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is the number a - bi. In other words, the conjugate of a complex number has the same real part, but the imaginary part is negated. The conjugate is often used in complex number operations, such as division and finding the absolute value.

4. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like with binomials. For example, (3 + 4i)(2 + 5i) = 3(2) + 3(5i) + 4i(2) + 4i(5i) = 6 + 15i + 8i + 20i^2 = 6 + 23i - 20 = -14 + 23i. To divide complex numbers, you multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, and then simplify as needed.

5. What are the applications of complex numbers in real life?

Complex numbers have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, they are used in electrical engineering to represent AC circuits and in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals. They are also used in quantum mechanics to describe the wave function of particles. In economics, complex numbers are used in financial modeling and forecasting. Additionally, complex numbers have applications in computer graphics, where they are used to represent rotations and transformations in 3D space.