Is There a Swap Meet or Flea Market Near You?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary: only buying and selling of things that don't have a specific use, like clothes, furniture, and cars.
zoobyshoe
San Diego has a few, actually; large ones that run every weekend. Last Sunday I came away with some excellent pirate booty, the most exiting of which was a nearly-new back pack for $10. I looked it up online when I got it home and it retails for between $60 and $70. One of the zippers was a bit mangled, so I think it was a return.

I also got a one gallon wet-dry vac for $2. It really sucks! Very strong. Be great for the car. Also got a 3/8 drive Craftsman torque wrench for $8, and I got a very nice new Glacier Bay bathroom faucette made of stainless steel for $5. (Already installed it and it works beautifully.)

Point being, the potential bargains are myriad. I'm especially glad for the book vendors, many of whom have a set price of "a buck a book."

Many years ago I was in Belgium, and was dragged to a famous flea market there (Brussels, maybe?) so I know they exist as regular events outside of California, but I seem to be the only PF person who goes to them. Is there a flea market or swap meet near you, and if so, do you ever go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately we have a fairly large permanent flea market outside the city, but it's all complete garbage.

The biggest regular flea market in the Chicagoland area is in the parking lot of the All State Arena in Rosemont. It runs every Saturday during mid spring to early fall.

As for "swap meet", we have our Windy City Pin Traders that meet every 3rd Saturday of the month at a Fuddruckers in Downers Grove. In fact, we will be meeting up this weekend.

Zz.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Unfortunately we have a fairly large permanent flea market outside the city, but it's all complete garbage.
I'd say 80% of the stuff here is of no interest to anyone, and doesn't sell. On the other hand, one man's junk is another's raw material. For example, the steel in old circular saw blades is perfect for making knives out of, so it's a bargain to someone who makes knives as a hobby to be able to pick up a bunch of rusty old circular saw blades for a quarter each. I've bought junk for pennies now and then mostly because I was interested in a supply of the material it was made from. I think a lot of craftsmen and tinkerers go to flea markets for that reason.
ZapperZ said:
As for "swap meet", we have our Windy City Pin Traders that meet every 3rd Saturday of the month at a Fuddruckers in Downers Grove. In fact, we will be meeting up this weekend.
Do you authentically swap pins? Here there's no difference between a swap meet and what's called a flea market where I grew up. Perhaps back in the day people actually swapped things at swap meets, but no longer.

zoobyshoe said:
Do you authentically swap pins? Here there's no difference between a swap meet and what's called a flea market where I grew up. Perhaps back in the day people actually swapped things at swap meets, but no longer.

Yes, at our pin trading day, it is predominantly (i.e. >75%) pin trading. This is a practice that we all "acquired" when we do pin trading on Disney property (i.e. they prohibit buying and selling between guests). There are also trading of vinylmations, Sorcerer to the Magic Kingdom cards (much like Baseball cards), etc.

http://windycitypintraders.com/

Zz.

We've got oodles of flea markets up here in Hogtown, but I've never heard of "specialized" meets like pin trading. Closest I've seen to any kind of specialized meet is a classic car gathering in the lot of the local Canadian Tire every 2nd Saturday.

About an hour's drive from here is the Anderson Jockey Lot. I've driven past it a few times but have never stopped there.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida has the Swap Shop which began when the Thunderbird Drive-In movie theater started to host a flea market during the day on weekends. It grew and grew and grew. Now they have 14 drive-in movie screens, a car museum, and carnival rides in addition to the flea market.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Yes, at our pin trading day, it is predominantly (i.e. >75%) pin trading. This is a practice that we all "acquired" when we do pin trading on Disney property (i.e. they prohibit buying and selling between guests).
That's probably one of the few authentic "swap meets" in existence, and the origin of the practice is interesting.
DaveC426913 said:
We've got oodles of flea markets up here in Hogtown, but I've never heard of "specialized" meets like pin trading. Closest I've seen to any kind of specialized meet is a classic car gathering in the lot of the local Canadian Tire every 2nd Saturday.
None of the several swap meets around here is dedicated, and there's no swapping I know of. They're flea markets.
jtbell said:
About an hour's drive from here is the Anderson Jockey Lot. I've driven past it a few times but have never stopped there.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida has the Swap Shop which began when the Thunderbird Drive-In movie theater started to host a flea market during the day on weekends. It grew and grew and grew. Now they have 14 drive-in movie screens, a car museum, and carnival rides in addition to the flea market.
So, everyone whose reported in is remote from each other, and the polygon San Diego, Toronto, Chicago, Wisconsin, Florida is pretty huge. It's probably safe to assume there are regular flea markets in all states.

We have car boot sales here, you can pick up any thing from a vase to a pair of army boots, better still is the charity shop i work at, you can buy a single bed there for 5 quid or kitchen equipment from 10p upwards to 2quid. or a pair of jeans for 3 quid. etc etc.

wolram said:
We have car boot sales here...
That's funny. Here in the U.S. the trunk of the car is the traditional 'storefront' of black marketeers.

Related to Is There a Swap Meet or Flea Market Near You?

1. What is a swap meet or flea market?

A swap meet or flea market is a type of open-air market where individuals gather to buy and sell various goods, typically secondhand or used items. These markets are often held on weekends and offer a wide range of products such as antiques, collectibles, handcrafted items, and household goods.

2. How do I find a swap meet or flea market near me?

The best way to find a swap meet or flea market near you is to search online. You can use search engines or websites such as Yelp or Flea Market Finder to locate markets in your area. You can also check local newspapers, community bulletin boards, or ask friends and family for recommendations.

3. What types of items can I expect to find at a swap meet or flea market?

Swap meets and flea markets offer a diverse range of items, including vintage clothing, furniture, electronics, books, toys, and more. You can also find unique and one-of-a-kind items that may not be available in traditional retail stores.

4. Can I sell items at a swap meet or flea market?

Yes, you can sell items at a swap meet or flea market. Many markets allow individuals to rent a space or table to sell their goods. However, it is important to check with the market organizers beforehand for any rules or regulations regarding selling at the market.

5. Are there any tips for shopping at a swap meet or flea market?

Some tips for shopping at a swap meet or flea market include arriving early for the best selection, bringing cash as many vendors may not accept credit cards, and being prepared to negotiate prices. It is also helpful to have a list of items you are looking for and to inspect items carefully before purchasing.

Back