Is there a Simple Proof for the Continuity of the Inverse Function?

In summary: Of course everything in the domain of f-1 looks like f(something). So we may suppose that y=f(x) and y_0=f(x_0).If we do this, then we can find a suitable delta>0 such that |f-1(y) - f-1(y_0)|<epsilon when |y-y_0|<delta.
CarmineCortez

Homework Statement

Let I be an interval in R, and let f: I-->R be one-to-one, continuous function. Then prove that f^(-1):f(I)-->R is also continuous.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started a thread yesterday and had some responses but the proofs became quite complicated and my proof ended up wrong, so I tried more basic approach.

So if f is continuous then
limx->af(x) = f(a) now if f-1 is continuous then
limf(x)->f(a)f-1(f(x)) = a
which is equivalent to limf(x)->f(a)x=a
which is true since f is continuous.

Does this make any sense, I'm not really familiar with taking the limit of the domain as the function is changing. Is there any hope for this proof?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas

It's not a good idea to start a duplicate thread. You should've just used your previous thread. Anyway, I'll give you more detailed hints this time.

The first order of business is to prove that f is either decreasing or increasing on I. The idea is to use the intermediate value theorem. However, since the IVT only applies to closed and bounded intervals, we need to be a little careful here. Take any two points a<b in I. Since f is one-to-one, then either f(a)<f(b) or f(a)>f(b). Suppose wlog that f(a)<f(b). Now our goal is to prove that f is increasing on I. If c<d are two other points in I, define g:[0,1]->R by

g(t) = f((1-t)b + td) - f((1-t)a + tc).

Why is it natural to look at this? (Draw a picture.) Use the IVT to prove that g>0 for all t. Conclude that f is increasing on I.

Having done this, the continuity of f^(-1) follows easily from an epsilon-delta argument.

morphism said:
It's not a good idea to start a duplicate thread. You should've just used your previous thread. Anyway, I'll give you more detailed hints this time.

The first order of business is to prove that f is either decreasing or increasing on I. The idea is to use the intermediate value theorem. However, since the IVT only applies to closed and bounded intervals, we need to be a little careful here. Take any two points a<b in I. Since f is one-to-one, then either f(a)<f(b) or f(a)>f(b). Suppose wlog that f(a)<f(b). Now our goal is to prove that f is increasing on I. If c<d are two other points in I, define g:[0,1]->R by

g(t) = f((1-t)b + td) - f((1-t)a + tc).

Why is it natural to look at this? (Draw a picture.) Use the IVT to prove that g>0 for all t. Conclude that f is increasing on I.

Having done this, the continuity of f^(-1) follows easily from an epsilon-delta argument.

Does the epsilon delta proof use the property f-1(f(x)) = x so

d(x,x_o)<delta and f(x)-f(x_0)<epsilon then for the inverse

f(x)-f(x_0)<epsilon d(f-1(f(x)) -f-1(f(x0)) )=(x-x0)<delta
but what if delta does not equal epsilon...

Why are you starting with "d(x,x_o)<delta and f(x)-f(x_0)<epsilon"? We're given an epsilon and we want to find a delta>0 such that |f-1(y) - f-1(y_0)|<epsilon when |y-y_0|<delta.

Of course everything in the domain of f-1 looks like f(something). So we may suppose that y=f(x) and y_0=f(x_0).

Drawing a picture will make the task of finding a suitable delta easier.

Related to Is there a Simple Proof for the Continuity of the Inverse Function?

1. What is a continuous inverse function?

A continuous inverse function is a mathematical concept where a function and its inverse function are both continuous. This means that the graphs of the functions have no breaks or gaps in them.

2. How do you find the inverse of a continuous function?

To find the inverse of a continuous function, you can use the algebraic method of setting the function equal to y and then solving for x. Another method is to reflect the points of the original function over the line y=x.

3. Can all continuous functions have an inverse?

No, not all continuous functions have an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must be one-to-one, meaning each input has only one output. If a function has multiple outputs for the same input, it cannot have an inverse.

4. How do you know if a continuous function has an inverse?

A continuous function will have an inverse if it is one-to-one. This can be determined by graphing the function and checking if it passes the horizontal line test, meaning no horizontal line intersects the graph more than once.

5. What is the importance of continuous inverse functions?

Continuous inverse functions are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to solve equations and make predictions in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also have practical applications in computer science and data analysis.